Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
havnt fished here in a long time ... is right around the corner from us, was thinkin about trying it again ... last time was skunk city for everyone there

Are there any fish in there?? lots of people fishing last time, but no fish were seen

any updates would be great !!! thanks

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Its been a while since I fished Bear Creek Res. They stock it with rainbow trout. Some browns get into it from the creek. It also has saugeye in it. I am not certain if they still do but it used to have tiger muskie in it. (Bear Creek Res and Quincy used to pass the state record for tiger muskie back and forth in the early 90's) I also believe there are perch in there but I may be wrong about that.

For the Saugeye try along the dam opposite end of the outlet structure. Use typical baits and lures. Trout are frequently caught to the right of the boat ramp on the small point there. (commonly called Pelican Point). Power bait, crawlers and minnows are good there.

Dan

Dan

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dan ... i tried it again this eve

went there mainly to watch the sunset & full moon rise tongiht, ... was pretty cool ... see photos

i tried slip bobbering a powerbait "rubber" crawler and an extened line loaded with nightcrawler eggs & yellow powerbait ............ water wasnt too clouded either, about 5 ft of visibiliity kind of green, wasnt chatfield brown

slip bob wasnt workin right, wouldnt goto the bottom ...... uggggh ... all i got was a nibble about 3 ft deep in 15 ft of water off the little float dock on south end ... so gave up on the bobber thing, i hate bobbers for some reason

switched to some swimbait, stayed for an hour & 1/2 maybe ... mainly hangin out - forgot a flashlight too ... oops ... I bet a dry fly woulda been great - fish were hittin the water pretty heavy at the moonrise, but what size fish??  But i didnt bring the fly rod so couldnt even try

was a great sunset and great moon ... But 5 minutes being there, just to my luck, a tiny boat comes along full of 4 drunk guys, peein in the water like 30 ft away & just makin way too much noise, cld hear them from across the lake  ...... I saw them catch some medium size fish, but those guys suck ... they need to take that noise to the bar  ... 2 of them probably not even old enough to drink, considering their language ... dont get me wrong, i like to party, but am respectful to others

Thank god they left!!!! ... was cool though after they left ... even though skunked, no worries I ll make up for it ... shoulda brought a boat for this lake, but it was a last minute fish mission

·
Registered
769 Posts
Has Bear Creek changed the park hours? Last I knew, you had to be off the lake and out of the park before it got dark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts