Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to get my son out for a day of flailing the waters with the fly rods. haven't been to cheesman in years. anyone been there recently? are the fish recovering from the fire? any suggestions on flies and sizes? i mainly nymph but if dries work i'll put some on and try.
thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I read an Article by Pat Dorsey in the September Fly Fisherman magazine all about Cheeseman Canyon after the fire.. The jist of the Article the browns did better then the rainbows and there is about 3700-3900 trout per mile instead of the 5500 fish per mile cheesman canyon use to boast. And they are around 50/50 browns to rainbows in the upper canyon and 70/30 in the lower canyon. Most of the debris from the fire has been washed down.

I would way you cant go wrong fishing the Canyon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i'll see if i have the article.we might go if the westher holds this weekend. looks like it could be more fall like than its been.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hi Ark

I was in there last Sunday (10/23) while it was raining and foggy down in the Springs. It was overcast and cold in the canyon but no ice in the guides. The flow was scary low - 40 cfs - but I couldn't see a fish anywhere. At about 11Am the overcast broke up and -pow- there were the fish along with tan mayflies and midges. We had some serious hops. I had to leave around 1:30 but caught 9 fish altogether: three 18.5" clones, weighing between 3-3.5 pounds, a couple of 16" and 13-14"ers. They hit tan RS-2's (mercury beadheads) and standard yarn salmon eggs (late brown spawn mode I guess). They were hitting the surface pretty hard in the lower pools (Steel & Family) but I didn't waste time switching to dries given my limited amount of time. I've usually done very well in there on lousy weather days but that was not the case last week. Good luck with your son!

Here are some of the pretties:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha, here I am saying the browns have done good and all _colorado posts is a bunch of rainbows... was any of those 9 fish you tagged browns?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Epic - no harm meant, just reporting my recent trip. I did catch one 13" brown - my experience with Cheesman is that it's 80% or more rainbow.

Public Service Announcement The low flows means work 'em fast and put 'em back even faster! I saw about a 20" bow belly up in the middle of a nice run. In low flow conditions it's especially important to do a good job of reviving them before releasing them - despite the cold water and weather. Your hands will warm up again.

Looking forward to your report, Ark, if you go. I've still got to get some of those ice nymphs for the Arkansas...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
_colorado said:
Epic - no harm meant, just reporting my recent trip. I did catch one 13" brown - my experience with Cheesman is that it's 80% or more rainbow.
Haha I didnt mean it that way... Cheeseman use to be 80% rainbows to browns, but after the fire it was suppose to be about 50 50 that survived up there. Thats what makes this site so great you read a magazine report or a CDOW report then you read a fishermans report and you get a better idea of whats going down.

Also good avice on the release them info, rather have cold hands and live fish to catch again another day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts