Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have five aquariums, small ones of course, cuz my parents are not the most understanding people. I currently have Goldfish, Pseudomugil gertrudae, Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp, Malawa Shrimp, Assassin Snails, Blue Bee Shrimp, Rabbit Snails, Trumpet Snails, Ramshorn Snails, Pond Snails, Nerite Snail, a betta, and Amano Shrimp. Used to have Blue Dot Matano Shrimp, but they all died on me.

Well here are a couple pictures and some videos of my aquariums and the inhabitants.

Pseudomugil gertrudae
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8WvuWmJXCk

Goldfish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svQ9eZlLFYo

Malawa Shrimp and Rabbit Snail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkxrSjDUvlc

Blue Dot Matano Shrimp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RJcbaGo3U

Assassin Snail eating a Ramshorn Snail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0zMKpOcI0c

Red Cherry Shrimp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFoocsyA3yc

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Not gonna lie...those are some pretty awesome aquariums/pics of your aquariums!

By the way...welcome to the Forum.

D.J.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Yeah somebody has some serious aquarium skills to grow live plants like that and stay on top of it!...NICE!!

and as someone said welcome to the forum!!!...

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
AWESOME planted freshwater tanks! I have always found the plants as much a factor in the tank as the fish.

Do you have a CO2 injector? Man those tanks look great.

I have had tanks off and on for years. I am off at the moment. I have tended to keep gamefish, mostly LMB, my preferred target species. They are messy and dirty and hard to keep once they get to more than ten inches or so. But I love them. Living with individual bass for a couple of years, you can get a real sense of that.

I have had up to twenty species of native vegetation in my tank at points, some submergent and some emergent. I had a lotus bloom in there once, and I had to lower the water to accommodate the blossom.

I would really like to do a full invertebrate tank one day... I LOVE shrimp. We had grass shrimp in the waterways in southeast Texas, and I would catch them for bait by lifting out clumps of water hyacinth and shaking out the roots over a bucket of water. I would get several dozen each time I did that, enough for a days fishing for redears (shellcrackers) or drum or whatever would bite. Being a coonass, I was always big on crustaceans. ;D

Dude, I will say it again, those tanks are awesome.

Edit: ha ha, guess you ain't a dude, my bad.

Shaun Solomon

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the comments!

@swimbait
The first picture is a medium light 10g tank. And yup I am using CO2 via Paintball tank. I'm too poor to actually spend $200+ on an actual CO2 5lb tank. Started off using DIY CO2 with sugar and yeast, but found it troublesome to change the mix every month, so now I am using Paintball CO2. The second picture, is also a 10g, low light no CO2; the stuff in there does grow slower due to the lack of CO2. But that tank is solely dedicated to dwarf shrimp so that is the reason. The tank with CO2 did have a colony of Red Cherry Shrimp but there has been some speculation that the amount of CO2 may stunt their growth and decrease the size of the colony.

Wow you kept bass huh, sounds cool!! How big of a tank did you have? I heard some people can keep trouts if they have these huge fish tanks and invest in a chiller instead of a heater haha. Have you been to this site? This site has a lot of people who own big fish! I didn't even know people kept bass and trout and huge fish until I saw it! Makes me kinda want to own a Rainbow Trout, haha: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Inverts are cool!! Do those Grass Shrimp breed in freshwater without a larval stage? You can basically breed your own bait right there! But then there could that weird problem like when people release their fish. I wonder if anybody who owns a Self-Cloning Crayfish use the babies as bait since it is pretty common to use the babies as food for like puffers, but then again I can see it becoming a total mess if somehow it escaped the hook and lived!!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I have been thinking about getting a 200 and using a vertical freezer as a sump. The purpose built aquarium chillers are SUPER expensive. You could probably get a nasty little freezer from CraigsList for free. Some rockwool or other medium for bacteria, and you got a combo chiller/filter.

I had my bass in a 75 and a custom 90 long... real small, but I kept little bass, only to 14".

I am not 100% positive, but the grass shrimp would carry eggs like a crawfish, so I am relatively confident that they do not have a separate larval stage. They live in fresh and slightly brackish water only. I guess I should know that. I will look it up.

I wonder if anybody who owns a Self-Cloning Crayfish use the babies as bait since it is pretty common to use the babies as food for like puffers, but then again I can see it becoming a total mess if somehow it escaped the hook and lived!!
That would be an understatement... :eek:

SS

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
swimbait said:
I have been thinking about getting a 200 and using a vertical freezer as a sump. The purpose built aquarium chillers are SUPER expensive. You could probably get a nasty little freezer from CraigsList for free. Some rockwool or other medium for bacteria, and you got a combo chiller/filter.

I had my bass in a 75 and a custom 90 long... real small, but I kept little bass, only to 14".

I am not 100% positive, but the grass shrimp would carry eggs like a crawfish, so I am relatively confident that they do not have a separate larval stage. They live in fresh and slightly brackish water only. I guess I should know that. I will look it up.

I wonder if anybody who owns a Self-Cloning Crayfish use the babies as bait since it is pretty common to use the babies as food for like puffers, but then again I can see it becoming a total mess if somehow it escaped the hook and lived!!
That would be an understatement... :eek:

SS
Ahh I see! Make a DIY chiller, save money, good idea! What did you do with your bass afterward? Did they die or did you eat them?? I have a 7" goldfish and my dad wants to eat it! :(

I think if your Grass Shrimp live in Brackish the eggs will hatch into larva form first, just like the Ghost Shrimp in Petsmart. I think all shrimp carry eggs, but whether they hatch into larval form or mini-adults is another story.

Yeaa, if someone did use Self Cloning Crayfish, boy it would be a mess.... they don't even need to breed with another to make dozens of babies, then those babies would make babies by themselves and repeat!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Those videos are gorgeous, especially the shrimp ones. I thought the music that appears at about 6:58 in the Blue Dot Matano Shrimp clip was perfect!!

Nice job!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Yeah, some people call them ghost shrimp, about an inch long, 1.5" max, clearish, big eyes, look like a huge mysis. Prolly the same critter.

My bass died. :'( One I had for several years and was real attached to, he was SMART! He caught his death from some feeders. :mad: No, I don't eat them; I would rather eat a puppy than a bass. I wish I did not have to catch fish, because I love them, but I can't stop. I am sick. :p

You ever keep triops, just out of curiosity? You seem to have the crustacean bug pretty bad...

SS

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Those videos are gorgeous, especially the shrimp ones. I thought the music that appears at about 6:58 in the Blue Dot Matano Shrimp clip was perfect!!

Nice job!
Thank you!! :D

swimbait said:
Yeah, some people call them ghost shrimp, about an inch long, 1.5" max, clearish, big eyes, look like a huge mysis. Prolly the same critter.

My bass died. :'( One I had for several years and was real attached to, he was SMART! He caught his death from some feeders. :mad: No, I don't eat them; I would rather eat a puppy than a bass. I wish I did not have to catch fish, because I love them, but I can't stop. I am sick. :p

You ever keep triops, just out of curiosity? You seem to have the crustacean bug pretty bad...

SS
Aww sorry about your bass. I also am very attached to my Goldfish, I adopted mine from a HS Biology lab where we put nicotine on their tail... well I had him since 2005! That really sucks he got sick after eating some feeders, that why so people prefer to grow their own food because feeders from stores tend to be in really bad condition :(

Yep I've kept Triops! I only have the standard North American species, Triops longicaudatus; but I did order some eggs of other species that I wanna hatch in the summer. I've also used to have Sea Monkeys and Red Tail Fairy Shrimp.

Here is a couple of my Triops clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWx0nkP0bKk (Laying eggs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3gNZnUZuw (eating Ghost Shrimp)

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Nice setups! Ive been keeping fish for about 15 years, currently I have a 125, 55, and a 29. I've got a breeding pair of Midas cichlids and some natives, the 29 is a planted tank I'm working on. I don't have any pics right now, but it's good to see that there are some other people here that actually know how to maintain an aquarium!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shutupandfish said:
Nice setups! Ive been keeping fish for about 15 years, currently I have a 125, 55, and a 29. I've got a breeding pair of Midas cichlids and some natives, the 29 is a planted tank I'm working on. I don't have any pics right now, but it's good to see that there are some other people here that actually know how to maintain an aquarium!
Thanks! Big tanks, I wish I could get a bigger tank... for my poor goldfish at least. Parents don't understand however...

29g planted is nice size, are you going to have pressurized CO2? High light?

trout4steak said:
Those blue dot shrimp are crazy!!

What kinda of camera are you using?
Aren't they?! Too bad they died on me... I only was able to keep them alive for 5 months. They are notoriously hard, and they typically cost $20 EACH plus shipping or tax if you are lucky to find them locally.

I'm using a Canon Powershot SX 200IS.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I used to breed African cichlids!

I was a member of the gcca in chicago! I used to have over 50 tanks! I owned alot of wild imported fish and made great money off my F1's F2's...

I used to raise my own brines shrimp in two liter bottles for feeding my show fish and the fry!
I had incubators and would strip my fish off there eggs and put them in the incubaters untill they hatched and off to a 10 gallon untill they where a 1/4" them they whent into my 40 breeders!
I would buy and sell fish at shows. I don't remember all the scientific names because its been since 1999 since I got out of the hobby! I raised frontosa's, was huge into peacocks, malawi trout, You name them I had them! I had a nice setup! You aquarium nuts would jump me if you knew what I sold every thing for!

I have been looking on craigs list for awhile for a 125 or larer! We have a koi pond with large Koi and gold fish in it!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have a saltwater aquarium with a maroon clown fish, a coral beauty, a snowflake eel, a rare bright orange chocolate chip starfish, a conch, a decorator crab, and las and my FAVORITE - a deadly, highly venomous fire urchin.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Alright! I haven't had a chance to see the pics because I was viewing the thread with my handheld. Very nice work there sashimi!!! I am very amateur at holding fish but, am also very interested in growing my knowledge base, and expanding past my single tank with a single gamefish and a single crawfish... :D

(I apologize for the run-on)

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
Sashimi said:
Thanks! Big tanks, I wish I could get a bigger tank... for my poor goldfish at least. Parents don't understand however...

29g planted is nice size, are you going to have pressurized CO2? High light?
After spending time on MFK, I realize that a 125 is quite small lol. One guy on there has a 15,000 AND a 50,000 gallon!

I had a DIY Co2 setup on a planted tank before, and I would like to avoid that if possible. The simpler I can make it, the better. Lighting right now is just a couple fluorescent tubes, but I have a fixture that holds two 65 watt power compacts. I just need to get a bulb or two for it, but dam those things are expensive!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts