Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to Coeur D'Alene, Idaho in June for my cousin's wedding. I've been there before but never done any fishing. I know there is some good flyfishing to be had in the local streams/rivers so I'm definitely planning on bringing the flyrod and talking to some of the local fly guys. I can do that for Lake Coeur D'Alene too but I was wondering if anyone had ever fished it. Seems like it's got the basics along with pike, chinook, Kokanee and more. I think I'll give it a try while I'm out there. Any experiences with this fishery that anyone can comment on?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I thought you asked this a while ago, or rather someone did, I didn't see anything in search results though/ maybe I just thought someone asked it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I tried fly fishing the lake a bit a few years ago around thanksgiving. I tried nympning and streamers off of a dock. No luck, but a beautiful lake. My grandfather did his naval training there for WWII.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I worked for a Law Enforcement Magazine that was head quartered there. It is a amazing place!! Unfortunately I was always working when I would fly in.

It has it's own self sustaining chinook, Kokanee and Cutthroat populations. But it also has fantastic bass and pike fishing in the shallow bays! I had a coworker that worked at the home office there and was a good fisherman, so I got to see a lot of his pics! It is a beautiful town!!! So much water everywhere around it!

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's just a short drive to the St. Joe, and then you can drive upstream for miles and miles with lots of access - or the Coeur d'Alene river. Interesting side note - when they close the dam on Coeur d'Alene lake, the St. Joe river will appear to flow upstream.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I lived in and fished that area for many years and now live here in Colorado Springs (long story about how I got here:)).
Lake Coeur d'Alene is huge and if you really want to fish it..........
First some questions, are you going to fly fish and what species are you targeting? To get the most out of your time I believe you need a boat. You can fiddle around the edges of bays with your fly rod but i wouldn't recommend that with all the outstanding water that area has to offer the fly fisherman.
If you want a chance at some big pike check out these guys http://www.fins1.com/
Jeff Smith is the first guy to talk to about fishing the lake.
If this big water type of fishing is what you're after there is also Lake Pend O'Reille, which I believe bugz is referencing, there still is a naval station there in Bayview. There is also Priest Lake which holds some big fish but again I think you will need a guide with a boat to get the most out of these waters.
If you are a still water fisherman, let me know and I'll point you to some of the more accessible lakes in the area, there are many.
Now, if you want a chance at native Westslope Cutthroats you are in for a treat.
Depending on the runoff early June can be iffy, runoff usually begins the first week or so of May and a lot of factors can affect it and I'm not in the loop right now about the conditions but I can find out if you want to fish the rivers. The later into June before you go the better as a general rule.
Before I go on and on about the Coeur d'Alene river and the St Joe river let me know if you are interested in them but whompuscat658, please don't go up there and miss the opportunity to fish them if you are a fly fisherman.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lived in and fished that area for many years and now live here in Colorado Springs (long story about how I got here:)).
Lake Coeur d'Alene is huge and if you really want to fish it..........
First some questions, are you going to fly fish and what species are you targeting? To get the most out of your time I believe you need a boat. You can fiddle around the edges of bays with your fly rod but i wouldn't recommend that with all the outstanding water that area has to offer the fly fisherman.
If you want a chance at some big pike check out these guys http://www.fins1.com/
Jeff Smith is the first guy to talk to about fishing the lake.
If this big water type of fishing is what you're after there is also Lake Pend O'Reille, which I believe bugz is referencing, there still is a naval station there in Bayview. There is also Priest Lake which holds some big fish but again I think you will need a guide with a boat to get the most out of these waters.
If you are a still water fisherman, let me know and I'll point you to some of the more accessible lakes in the area, there are many.
Now, if you want a chance at native Westslope Cutthroats you are in for a treat.
Depending on the runoff early June can be iffy, runoff usually begins the first week or so of May and a lot of factors can affect it and I'm not in the loop right now about the conditions but I can find out if you want to fish the rivers. The later into June before you go the better as a general rule.
Before I go on and on about the Coeur d'Alene river and the St Joe river let me know if you are interested in them but whompuscat658, please don't go up there and miss the opportunity to fish them if you are a fly fisherman.
I'm definitely a flyfisherman at heart. After some consideration that's probably all I'll bring because of the covenience factor. I can carry my fly rod, flies and everything else I need on the airplane.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been looking into the coeur D'Alene river and st. Joes. I'm definitely interested in the prospect of summer steelhead up there, if there is such a thing. Never fished steelies b4

·
Registered
253 Posts
Fish passage is not possible above Chief Joseph Dam. No steelies in the Coeur D'Alene area. There is currently some talk about creating passage at the upstream Columbia River dams but would be surprised if it comes about in my lifetime.

Ratt

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is correct, no steelhead right in Coeur d'Alene but you don't have to go that far down to the Lewiston area to fish the Snake and Clearwater rivers as well as the Lower Salmon which dumps into the Snake above Asotin as well as the Grand Ronde.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That is correct, no steelhead right in Coeur d'Alene but you don't have to go that far down to the Lewiston area to fish the Snake and Clearwater rivers as well as the Lower Salmon which dumps into the Snake above Asotin as well as the Grand Ronde.
Not going be any anadromous fish that far up in the Snake system in June when he's scheduled to be in Coeur. That would also be approaching a 4 hour drive to get to Lewiston. It's usually a late September start for that fly fishery due to the thermal block on the Snake River dams

Ratt

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm headed to Coeur D'Alene, Idaho in June for my cousin's wedding. I've been there before but never done any fishing. I know there is some good flyfishing to be had in the local streams/rivers so I'm definitely planning on bringing the flyrod and talking to some of the local fly guys. I can do that for Lake Coeur D'Alene too but I was wondering if anyone had ever fished it. Seems like it's got the basics along with pike, chinook, Kokanee and more. I think I'll give it a try while I'm out there. Any experiences with this fishery that anyone can comment on?

i lived near Spokane Washington for years
should be some good Kokanee and some chinook fishing
if your into bass fishing that should be coming on good

lake Roosevelt is not far and will be the prime time walleye and some great rainbow fishing

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Fished the So. fork Clearwater below Dworshak Res. many years ago for Steelies. I snagged a sucker in the A-hole. That was that-

·
Registered
253 Posts
Fished the So. fork Clearwater below Dworshak Res. many years ago for Steelies. I snagged a sucker in the A-hole. That was that-
How'd the air smell? The pulp mills in Lewiston can make Greeley seem like a perfume factory. Even though the Clearwater has those large "B" run fish, I used to prefer fishing the Snake and the Ronde up in the canyon. Good bird hunting too.

Ratt

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
How'd the air smell? The pulp mills in Lewiston can make Greeley seem like a perfume factory. Even though the Clearwater has those large "B" run fish, I used to prefer fishing the Snake and the Ronde up in the canyon. Good bird hunting too.

Ratt
Didnt notice any bad smells. It was in Feb. I do remember it being cold in the mornings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts