Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, hit a yard sale today and got a tray of fishing stuff, but in the mix was a vintage spinner bait that caught my attention. luckily its still in the package, its called "Schooler" by whanger company. It has four seperate blades, and a funky skirt.
Any info is appreciated.

DH

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Multi-blade spinnerbaits became fashionable a few years back, when Strike King (always a notable spinnerbait company) found success with the Quad Shad, a four blade bait. I am not familiar with the bait you mention, but it will no doubt be effective.

I had great personal success with a home brewed bait featuring a triple willowleaf configuration consisting of a Hildebrandt 31/2, 4, and 5 blade, gold silver gold, on a 3/4oz body with a baby bass style skirt and a motoroil/gold flake grub as a trailer. Man I got a ton of bass with that bait!

One thing about multi-blade spinnerbaits; they are hard to keep in tune. There is a lot of torque from all those blades, and they like to roll. You can combat this by going with a heavy head, (3/4oz and up,) smaller blades, a thinner skirt, and bending the arm down towards the hook shank to close the "gap" between the blades and the hook. These are all well known tricks for "burning" spinnerbaits, but they work for this application as well.

Hope this is helpful, let us know how your find produces!

Cheers.

Shaun

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Not a big fan of multi-blade spinnerbaits, myself. Always had the most strikes with a single Colorado blade.

I believe Whanger Lures (no longer in existence) was in Wichita, KS. Collectors are currently paying about $25 apiece for Whanger lures in new condition.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I remember tinkering with multiple combinations of blade sizes and types back in the early 90. its hilarious to throw one of the larger quad blade types in lakes that have just been stocked with rainbows. The stockers school up behind it and will chase it around the whole lake. Best predator attracting bait out there. Pop gear for predators.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wow they went out of business...

Whanger Lures...I guess size doesnt matter!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Not a big fan of multi-blade spinnerbaits, myself. Always had the most strikes with a single Colorado blade.
I have had better luck with BIG bass with a single blade. I have much, much better numbers with triple and quad designs. Not sure how this translates to pike. ???

discloco said:
I remember tinkering with multiple combinations of blade sizes and types back in the early 90. its hilarious to throw one of the larger quad blade types in lakes that have just been stocked with rainbows. The stockers school up behind it and will chase it around the whole lake. Best predator attracting bait out there. Pop gear for predators.
Exactly! Shad do this too. It is pretty funny. I always wondered about dropping a Copper John for those little schoolies... never got around to it... ???

Shaun

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys crack me up ;D but thanks for the info everyone, the main thing is, how long ago did the company go out of business?

And as for my combination, I usually have best success with double willow leaf blades, silver ftw

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, maybe I do have the only one remaining ;D then I could sell it, and get some more fishing stuff O0 i'll post a picture of it later today

1 - 9 of 9 Posts