Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I used to fish it a lot as I live about 10 minutes away.

Lots of stockers. And small perch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I've heard that there are decent cats in there, but the hours are not conducive to that fishing.

Used to be tiger muskie, and SMB. Lots of pressure on the lake, I don't think there are many if any of those fish left.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fish it in my kayak nearly every week as I live 2 miles away.
You'll find big smallmouth, big channel cats, and big walleyes (though the walleye population/catchability seems low for me). I have pulled 14 Master Angler smallies (>17") in the last 3 trips I've had out there, and two Master Angler cats (>30")...
Perch are small and abundant with the occasional 12"; they make great bait for the smallies and cats.
The stocked trout are usually under 14" but you can find the occasional 16"+ rainbow.

Water clarity is around 9 ft right now without polarized glasses.
No live aquatic bait allowed to be brought in and no traps/netting allowed; use worms or catch perch when you get there if live bait is your thing.

Spring hours are 630 am to 730 pm.
Cost is $5/$7 per vehicle and then you pay $5/$7 per watercraft (Arvada resident/non-resident). Yearly pass for non-resident vehicle and kayak is $70.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fish it in my kayak nearly every week as I live 2 miles away.
You'll find big smallmouth, big channel cats, and big walleyes (though the walleye population/catchability seems low for me). I have pulled 14 Master Angler smallies (>17") in the last 3 trips I've had out there, and two Master Angler cats (>30")...
Perch are small and abundant with the occasional 12"; they make great bait for the smallies and cats.
The stocked trout are usually under 14" but you can find the occasional 16"+ rainbow.

Water clarity is around 9 ft right now without polarized glasses.
No live aquatic bait allowed to be brought in and no traps/netting allowed; use worms or catch perch when you get there if live bait is your thing.

Spring hours are 630 am to 730 pm.
Cost is $5/$7 per vehicle and then you pay $5/$7 per watercraft (Arvada resident/non-resident). Yearly pass for non-resident vehicle and kayak is $70.
Thanks for the info, you did good on smallies there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is still good. I do well along the dam. nice trout and smallies. the trout were eating crawfish but got on a worm harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
update

Had a hard time finding smallies and walleyes yesterday. Spoke with a guy that found a school of small catfish in 60' near the water intake structure. Trout are shallow and pelagic and are biting most anything you throw at them.
Water surface temp was between 52 and 47. Didn't see any bass shallow yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I found the catfish near the water intake structure at 60' deep and pulled up a 23"-er. Smallies were in 25' +/-. I also found perch between 27'-20'.
Still no walleye...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess I'll be the Arvada Reservoir update guy....
Smallies are moving shallow as the water temp breeches 57F in the south bay. So far only males schooled up just below the surface in 9' or shallower (along all shorelines).

Saw some walleyes cruising above the weed tops in 10'. Cats are still in 50' schooled up and some of them have come shallow to sleep/soak up the sun.
Trout are everywhere and really get annoying when you are going for bass...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I won't ask how big the walleye are in there because if they're big I wouldn't tell anyone and I wouldn't expect you to either!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Given those reports, that lake sure has changed over the years. I'm really surprised that there are still walleye in there as I didn't think the DOW had stocked it in a long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys at the check-in shack said a 13lb walleye was pulled out this last Saturday... I don't know how accurate that is, but the past few days I've been seeing eyes bigger than 27" swimming in the shallows, so I can believe there are giant walleye in low numbers in the reservoir.

Today all I caught were trout while throwing wacky rigs shallow for smallies. Wind picked up and I had to leave. Trying again in the morning.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys at the check-in shack said a 13lb walleye was pulled out this last Saturday... I don't know how accurate that is, but the past few days I've been seeing eyes bigger than 27" swimming in the shallows, so I can believe there are giant walleye in low numbers in the reservoir.

Today all I caught were trout while throwing wacky rigs shallow for smallies. Wind picked up and I had to leave. Trying again in the morning.
What size trout are coming out of there?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts