Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know James does. I got one for my birthday-its a sit on top model (SOT) and I love it. Had it out about a dozen times and its just perfect for small lakes and ponds. Alot of you guys who wish you had a boat should look into these. I've bought new paddles which are cupped and lighter and now I can move even faster and today I bought some neoprene stockingfoot waders so I can "yak" no matter how cold it gets. Plus its real good exercise-gonna get my 6 pak abs back!! ::)

I got a nice boat with all the bells and whistles but this yak thing is addictive-it puts you right on the water so you're up close and personal with the fish.

Just wondered if anyone else besides James and me is doing this?

F

·
0 Posts
i would love to ...how much do they cost ..and im a big guy 6'5 250lbs do they make them for bigger people

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I do and I've been doing it for 8 years. You can't beat it for smaller waters and anything less than class III rapids (BTW I fish out of a green Dagger Delta that cost me $450 used with paddle). They do make them for bigger people, mine is rated to 450 lbs, so I guess it depends on how mush gear you take. I also have a little portable Hummingbird fish finder for mine that works pretty darn well. An added bonus is that if you hook into a really big fish, you can just let him (or her) drag you around with the boat acting like a drag. From what I've read it only takes about 6 lbs of force to move it.
Also, the boats aren't hard o paddle long distances once you get used to it. I've gone up to 10 miles in a day trip, but the boats really shine on places like Quincy and Evergreen. I

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought mine at Pep Boys for $269. Its a Pelican which is OK but not in the same class with a Dagger. You can spend a little or alot. This was my first one but its like anything else-once you have one you want a better one.

I just came back in from fishing out of the kayak for about 3 hrs-honestly, these are just great little boats and its very relaxing.

VolFan-The portable fishfinder is a great idea. And they are, like you say, really easy to paddle-the new cupped paddle I got makes a big difference. Another thing I really like-you don't have to bother with boat ramps. Just carry it and a paddle and a rod down to the water and you're off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Kayak fishing is awesome! I did a week long expedition kayak trip down in Mexico this past March and had a blast. I'm going back down in October for a kayak fishing trip -- hoping to land some big dorado, tuna, and possibly a sailfish. It's pretty popular on the west coast.

There are quite a few companies now that make models specifically for fishing that have areas for rod storage, integrated rod holders, places for bait tanks, etc. <a href="http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/miragedrive.html">This Company</a> makes models with this Mirage drive system that allows you to propel the kayak (quite well) with a propulstion system powered by a pedaling motion -- allows you to fish hands free. It's not as popular on the west coast, probably more due to tradition and the fact that it might be less capable in surf conditions.

Here's a link to a good kayak fishing site: <a href="http://www.kayak4fish.com">La Jolla Kayak Fishing</a>. It's all saltwater action, but still very cool to read about...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
call me old fashioned but i still use a canoe

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I fish from a canoe too. Easier to get the fish into the cooler!
Have used it twice for getting into the primative camping area at Eleven mile.
And its tough to troll too fast for slow fish.

T

·
0 Posts
SD said:
Kayak fishing is awesome! I did a week long expedition kayak trip down in Mexico this past March and had a blast. I'm going back down in October for a kayak fishing trip -- hoping to land some big dorado, tuna, and possibly a sailfish. It's pretty popular on the west coast.

There are quite a few companies now that make models specifically for fishing that have areas for rod storage, integrated rod holders, places for bait tanks, etc. <a href="http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/miragedrive.html">This Company</a> makes models with this Mirage drive system that allows you to propel the kayak (quite well) with a propulstion system powered by a pedaling motion -- allows you to fish hands free. It's not as popular on the west coast, probably more due to tradition and the fact that it might be less capable in surf conditions.

Here's a link to a good kayak fishing site:  <a href="http://www.kayak4fish.com">La Jolla Kayak Fishing</a>. It's all saltwater action, but still very cool to read about...
Is it comfortable to fish from the Hobie Kayaks? It looks like it can work really well. I am considering getting rid of my float tube and upgrading to a kayak.

SD, is it stable?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a canoe that I fish from.  Some of you may have seen me and my son-in-law on Chatfield, Jackson, Boyd, Barr, etc.  We have outriggers on it and an electric motor.  Gets around very well, handles moderately big waves, jet skis that try to swamp us, and wind.  We get some funny looks from the big yachts when we come trolling by.

I don't have a kayak, but I have rented one to fish from on the Texas coast.  I go to Rockport and there is easy access to some great redfish and trout water.  These fish like the shallows, which is great because most of the Laguna Madre is less than four feet deep.  You can sneak right up on the fish, especially redfish that are feeding on crabs, shrimp, and small bait fish with their backs and tails sticking out.  A big bushy fly, spinner bait, or spoons work well.  I've hooked bull reds that run 35 pounds and they pull the kayak all over the place.  It's a blast.  The kayaks that are for rent are sit on, sea kayaks, 17' long and are rigged for fishing.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
La Jolla Kayak Fishing. It's all saltwater action,
man thats were i grew up i shure miss the saltwater action this time of year is awesome

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you ever want to up grade your kayak from a smaller model to a bigger one, I highly recommend the Necky sport.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts