Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to paint my 14 ft jon boat camo for the duck season. I was wondering if anyone here had experience painting aluminum boats. I've been researching and there's just so many different brands and techniques.. Hopefully some of you could point me in the right direction!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The key to painting an aluminum boat is the prep work! First clean the boat, remove any lose paint or gunk on the boat. After its clean and dry cover it with a self-etching primer. For a camo boat I would use a roll and tip method (look it up) to paint the base color with Rustoleum Enamel (i'd use brown or tan). Then after the base coat is dry find some cat-tails or branches with leafs on them to use as stencils and use Rustoleum Spray Enamel (Dark Green, light brown, off white, maybe a darker yellow). Hold the stencil up to the boat and spray over top of it. The paint will pass through the voids and leave a natural looking camo pattern. I've painted several boats, ice fishing boxes, even a few shotguns like this.

Here's a sled I did last year. I used sage brush as my stencil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.