Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all a big howdy to all my fly fishing bretheren in Colorado. Hope Saturdays weather provided some positive results for those who took the time (despite the crowds) to wet a fly or two. Wish I could have been there. My son gave it a try only to find more fishermen than he had expected on the water and opted for another day!

Anyway I was hoping someone in Routt would be willing to share a hot spot or two in the Steamboat area for my two (maybe three) week trek to Co. when I visit my boy. Been fishing the 'Boat for the last 7 years or so with excellent results and would be willing to share info and tactics in return for your info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry sorelips, still getting comfortable navigating this site. Appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
No, you are in the right place, or you could have posted this in the general "Fishing" section.

Man, you have sooo much good water around Steamboat, you may need more than a few weeks. Anyway, when do you plan on comming out? The only reason I ask is a lot of "what is fishing well" will depend on when you are out here. May and June are high water months with runoff, so most rivers are blown out and difficult to fish, so you should focus on Reservoirs or Tailwaters.

The Yampa River through Steamboat and west to Hayden and Craig is a great river and stacked with nice fish. You should definitely spend some time fishing it through town, or anywhere around town really. Going west towards Hayden and Craig the river has Pike and Smallmouth in it, although over the past 5 or 6 years the Division of Wildlife has implemented a strong effort to remove both of those species in an effort to increas numbers of endangered fish species in the Yampa, so numbers of Pike and Smallmouth are not as abundant as they used to be, but they are still there. You have Steamboat Lake, Elkhead Reservoir, and Stagecoach Reservoir, which are all within about a half hour of Steamboat. Elkhead has nice smallie and pike pouplations, as well as trout, so it can be a fun body of water. Stagecoach grows big trout, as well as giant pike too, so it can be fun as well. The river that comes out of Stagecoach Res. is a tailwater and fishes well year round. I would definitely recommend checking it out. You will run into a lot more fisherman on the tailwater, but there is plenty of fish to go around. Those would be my suggestions and should be a good start. I will be up in that area the third week of April for a couple of days fishing, so let me know when you plan on comming out to CO and I can offer additional suggestions, places that would be good.

Tight Lines!

·
Registered
883 Posts
rip lip said:
No, you are in the right place, or you could have posted this in the general "Fishing" section.
Rip lip this was originally posted in the fly tying forum, but looks like the mods moved it. So, yes it does help to post your question in the right place as you can see from your answer! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. Usually fish the Elk, Yampa and the Co. above State Bridge as well as several alpne lakes above Fish Creek Falls and Buff Pass. If you want shear numbers in the 15-18" range either Teal or Lost lake are hard to beat. In fact that place would be the ultimate place to take a beginner because if you can't cacth fish there it may be adviseable to take up another hobby. Prince nymphs usually produce very well there. I usually come out the first two weeks of August. The fishing was so good on the Yampa last year I never even got off it. Prime hopper territory! Fish (browns) in the 4lb plus class were common as well as some surprisingly nice cutts. The DOW and the local fly guys have made this into a primo trout water. The big problem there are the tubers and kayak classes. After 10:00 AM all bets are off and the fish head for cover. Daybreak in the playholes is tough to beat. Still trying to figure out the Carl Lewis area. Stagecoach in August had an algae bloom so bad it looked like pea soup and while there are some real bragging size fish there, plucking the snot off the fly after each cast made it less than enjoyable. I'm more of a river guy anyway.

There are two spots on the Yampa that I have found to be outstanding. The upstream side of the (tell you exactly where in an email if interested) and and the section that runs through Steamboat Campground. There are rainbows back there that will scare you. Like stovewood with fins. Never seen anything that big in that river since and I've been fortunate enough to catch some dandies there. Only problem there is that unless you are staying at the campground access is limited.

I'm trying to find some less traveled areas. My idea of a good day of fishing is fishing places where you see fish and wildlife not people. Not big on pike or bass fishing anymore not that there is anything wrong with fishing for them guess I've just had my fill.

I also fish the Poudre on occasion and while I like fishing for the Cutts there, there are just way too many people there for me. If you can think of any overlooked spots in the area let me know. There are a couple of leased areas with BLM land on the opposite side that are fishable (as long as you stay on land and out of the water) but although legal you tend to pi$$ off the guides and for the most part it's not worht the hassle.

Very much appreciate the input. Shoot me an email if you want to know exactly where I've been consistantly finding the big browns (you probablly already know) on the Yampa and I'd be happy to oblige.

Have a great evening!
CB

·
Registered
377 Posts
Great info, thanks for sharing. One question came to mind re "There are a couple of leased areas with BLM land on the opposite side that are fishable (as long as you stay on land and out of the water) but although legal you tend to pi$$ off the guides and for the most part it's not worht the hassle." Doesn't the property ownership extend to the center of the flowing portion of the river? I.e., wouldn't the BLM boundary, and thus public access, be into the water and to the center of the stream? Appreciate any clarification on that. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Knute,

I'm afraid that's a question that you will have to ask someone else. In fact if someone could in a nutshell explain "Water Rights" in Co. to me I'd appreciate it as well. I've asked questions about water rights in Co. before and in most cases haven't gotten the same answer twice. I understand that in some instances you can't even collect the rainwater from your roof. To the best of my knowledge as long as you are not standing on the bottom you're ok, but then I've seen places where barbed wire spans the width of the river. As far as boundries go??

·
Registered
224 Posts
"Whiskey is for drinking; water is for fighting over."

In Colorado, landownership extends to the middle of the stream bed. If public land is on one side and private land on the other side of a stream, you should be able to enter (touching the streambed) said stream up to mid stream point.

Floating on streams over private property (private landownership on both sides, which includes streambed) was a hotly debated topic last year. Touching the streambed on private land would be considered trespassing.
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=55898.0

In a nutshell... water is a rather complex and thorny topic here in the west.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link GtownD although I must admit I'm more confused now than I was before. I guess you need a Phd to unravel the mess they call water rights in Co.
Think I'll just stick to open waters or ask permission. Things are much less complicated here in the Northeast. But the folks here, for the most part don't rely on the water to make a living the same way outfitters and landowners do in Co.
And to be fair to the land owners I can understand their plight. Many folks have absolutely no regard for the property of others let alone the enviornment. In short it only takes a few to screw it up for the majority. There are times I've spent more time picking up peoples trash than I do fishing. The up side is that it has gained me access to places where others are normally denied access which is why a garbage bag has become part of my necessary fishing gear.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I remember fishing the Elk River near the seedhouse was a lot of fun, although I haven't been there in many years. Also the South Fork of Elk river was fun for fishing Brookies.

That area brings back found memories.

FB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't fished the South fork of the Elk yet. Any size to those brookies FB? Got a little 5' 3wt. that I use on 'em here at home. Dandy little rod for the overgrown streams back East. Just talkin about it is giving me the itch. That honeydo list may just have to wait another day!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Sounds like you have the area pretty well dialed and have spent lots of time fishing around Steamboat. To get away from people, you may have to get into the high country. That opens up a whole plethora of options, but may not be an option until around July. Good luck and tight lines!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts