Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. me and the wife rented a cabin at sylvan lake for friday and saturday and i was wondering if anyone has fished there this year? as i haven't fished it for a couple of years. if anyone would like to come up and check it out it is a very cool little lake

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Did you get anything up there? I have fished sylvan several times in the past few years, but always in the summer. It is like a trout farm out there. It is not unreasonable to pull up 30-40 fish in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have not gone yet. we are going on friday. they have some really nice brrokies in there. my biggest was 15" and beautiful

M

·
0 Posts
dont do anything fancy, just powerbait and worms and you should be fine all day

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
afishman

I went last year...but havent been there this year...

Two things...the ice seems weird there...the first time I drilled a hole and it was like 3 turns of the auger and it went through (I initially went oh crap!) but then I hit another layer of solid ice...the ranger said that it is usually that way...I forget why he said it did that anyway...

Secondly and most importantly after fishing awhile near the bottom and little or no action we found our fish suspended 6 or 9 feet down and it didnt matter where we were or how deep the water was...that was in February last year...and it is later this year as oxygen levels drop due to thick snow, limited light, and dieing vegetation fish come up in the water column sometimes...

Are you taking a vex?...I didnt have one last year...

Good luck...I love that place...it is so quiet there...no people...and the scenery is great too...we took snowshoes also...it was great fun...they rent them at ski shops if you guys dont want to ice fish all the time...they arent very expensive...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks zman and mustang. that is why i like ice-fishing there. i have never seen more than 8 people there at one time. it is one of the most beautiful spots i know of. ;D not to mention if i get cold i can just walk back to the cabin and get warmed up >:D >:D >:D

M

·
0 Posts
while you're there, if the road isnt all messed up, drive up to fulford cave, beautiful drive, kinda rugged roads, maybe u cant get there this time of year...also a hike staright up, nevewrmind, but sometime hike up there, its worth it, go in the cave, it is so tight...the more i think about it the more impossible it seems that uou could do it in the winter, but next time your there in the summer...fulford cave

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
South of Eagle 15 miles...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I might just have to check out the hardwater action up there.  I know in the summer it is one of my favorite little lakes.  It is absolutely full of fish.  But I haven't iced it yet.  In the summer though, there isn't anything you can throw at those trout that they won't bite on. 

If you stand at the dirt mound boat piers, right past the handi-cap access bathrooms, walk about 10 o'clock towards the left.  There is some sort of wood pile (dam) over on that side of the lake that has good depth and normally holds schools of fish.  Is worth a shot.

I do agree with mustang though.  nothing fancy needed.  Powerbait on bottom with about hook about 1 1/2 foot up, or else a worm, either suspended or off bottom.  Im sure that a little green ice ant with a wax worm or mealie wouldn't hurt either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts