Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
although i wouldn't imagine it has safe ice right now, is anyone familiar with this lake during the winter? what do you catch and where?

·
Registered
935 Posts
No ice fishing is allowed at Carter Lake, and if that is enforced as tightly as the entrance and boat launch fees, the park nazi's will be on you within 5 minutes if you try.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i'm not going to try if it's illegal. i didn't know it was. the only info i have on the park says it's open all year and made no mention of ice fishing being prohibited. who runs that property? i thought it was eather larimer county parks or city o' loveland. any idea why they don't allow? seems like it would be a nice place.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
No ice fishing is allowed at Carter Lake, and if that is enforced as tightly as the entrance and boat launch fees, the park nazi's will be on you within 5 minutes if you try.

Sounds like a couple of lakes on the east side of the metro area that shall remain nameless..

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
john the fisherman said:
who runs that property? i thought it was eather larimer county parks or city o' loveland.
Larimer County runs it. If you get the annual Larimer County parks & open lands permit to stick on your windshield it will get you into both Carter and Horsetooth, and some county parks as well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Carter has a no ice-fishing policy because of un-safe conditions. This lakes generally never fully freezes over because of fluctuating water levels and an abundence of wind. However, I suggest and reccomend this lake in the winter. Head for dam 1 area where you can get to deep water. There may be ice which is ok, usually the shoreline is always open. Throw 1/4 white jig heads with with a 2 1/2'' white twister tail with garlic scent. You will need to experiment with the depth until the fish are located. Fish as if you are fishing for pre-spawn walleye, slow, slow, slow. With this method I've been able to consistently land real hogs up to 25'' long.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I fished carter yesterday and there isn't ice anywhere. I did manage to catch some nice bows. The biggest was 22''

·
Registered
935 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Larimer County runs it.  If you get the annual Larimer County parks & open lands permit to stick on your windshield it will get you into both Carter and Horsetooth, and some county parks as well.
And empty your wallet in the process. Then, if you use a motorized boat of any kind, you have to go in debt to fish the county-run waters. Not sure why their costs are higher than the state parks, but they are serious as cancer about enforcing their rules and regs in Larimer County. If you live on a budget, you are really deprived of the benefit of county-owned public lands in Larimer County. That's the real shame.

I'm all for paying fees to use public lands, in general, but if the fee structure effectively limits access to a whole socioeconomic group, it's a struggle for me to justify it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
fishmanlee said:
Carter has a no ice-fishing policy because of un-safe conditions.  This lakes generally never fully freezes over because of fluctuating water levels and an abundence of wind.  However, I suggest and reccomend this lake in the winter.  Head for dam 1 area where you can get to deep water.  There may be ice which is ok, usually the shoreline is always open.  Throw 1/4 white jig heads with with a 2 1/2'' white twister tail with garlic scent.  You will need to experiment with the depth until the fish are located.  Fish as if you are fishing for pre-spawn walleye, slow, slow, slow.  With this method I've been able to consistently land real hogs up to 25'' long. 
Good info... Might give this a shot, when I get a real job and can afford to visit Larimer Co. Parks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay just how bad is it? national parks annual passes cost $50 and i think that is the best bargain in the world. state parks passes cost $50 also, i don't normally get one. how much is larimer county parks pass and what is the daily entry? (it's been a while since i've been to carter, but i do remember thinking DAMN that's a lot just to get in.)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I buy a national parks pass and a state parks pass (for two cars, total $70) every year. To also then have to buy a more expensive pass for the Larimer county parks ($65 for one car, and $105 for two, so my wife and I can go) is difficult (and in fact, I don't do it). I simply opt not to use the larimer county parks much. Plus, I want to use my boat when I go to the Larimer County Parks lakes. That will run me another $65 for an annual pass, if I go a lot, or and additional $6 for a single day of boating. If I just want to paddle a canoe or Kayak, there's a nice fee for that, too ($30 annual, or I assume the daily boat fee applies). All of these fees are higher than the state parks fees. If the goal is to reduce use of the resource, the fees are effective, but mostly for people who have less money and can't squeeze park visits into their budgets. Seems like a discriminitory way to manage the resources, and wish they would come up with something more equitable.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Cutthroat said:
I buy a national parks pass and a state parks pass (for two cars, total $70) every year. To also then have to buy a more expensive pass for the Larimer county parks ($65 for one car, and $105 for two, so my wife and I can go) is difficult (and in fact, I don't do it). I simply opt not to use the larimer county parks much. Plus, I want to use my boat when I go to the Larimer County Parks lakes. That will run me another $65 for an annual pass, if I go a lot, or and additional $6 for a single day of boating. If I just want to paddle a canoe or Kayak, there's a nice fee for that, too ($30 annual, or I assume the daily boat fee applies). All of these fees are higher than the state parks fees. If the goal is to reduce use of the resource, the fees are effective, but mostly for people who have less money and can't squeeze park visits into their budgets. Seems like a discriminitory way to manage the resources, and wish they would come up with something more equitable.
:mad: :mad: :mad:
sounds bad! I'm glad we don't have counties over here on the west slope that charge just to fish their lakes. That really stinks!
What kind of fish are in carter? I take it bows and walleye at least? What else?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Cutthroat said:
  To also then have to buy a more expensive pass for the Larimer county parks ($65 for one car, and $105 for two, so my wife and I can go) is difficult (and in fact, I don't do it).  I simply opt not to use the larimer county parks much.
And those are the prices if you are a Larimer County resident. If you are a non-resident, it's much more. I think like $165.00 for a season pass. We spent 14 bucks for a one day pass @ hosetooth last year. 7 for truck,7 for boat. Kindof alot of money for 1 day of fishing, just to use the lake!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I guess I would be willing to pay a little more in taxes if it would mean the fees would be reduced and the county parks were then accessible to everyone who wanted to use them - they are public lands afterall. It's justifiable to have the public support their upkeep. Nearly everyone benefits from them, whether they use them or not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are trout, walleye 16-18 (slot restriction), smallmouth, kokes and rumour's of lakers.
If you want to drink a good, cold beer while you are killing fish, beware, if they catch ya with other than 3.2 beverages they confiscate without question. By the end of a weekend day, I have seen the back of there pickup is full of cans and bottles of fine american made brews that go to waste.
The reason why the daily/annual fees are high is because they have to pay the wages of the many rangers on patrol...getting people in trouble.

·
Registered
81 Posts
According to the DOW 2006 regulations, the new size for Carter walleye is 16" to 20" and just 1 in possession.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts