Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I got 41-44 yesterday and yes I'm catching bass. So there.

This wind should help warm up the water.

I've been throwing nothing but blade baits since Nov but thats gonna change soon.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Are you fishing the west end?

·
Registered
53 Posts
FWIW I took a surface temp this morning (fri 13th) at 8:15am of 49° (air temp 43°). This followed 2 consecutive days of High Wind warnings and gusts > 50mph.

Also of interest (I thought).. I caught a 17" male eye still milting. Interesting because none of the eyes I caught in late March were still spawning (that I'm aware of) but that was a different part of the lake so I suppose that's a factor.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
FWIW I took a surface temp this morning (fri 13th) at 8:15am of 49° (air temp 43°). This followed 2 consecutive days of High Wind warnings and gusts > 50mph.

Also of interest (I thought).. I caught a 17" male eye still milting. Interesting because none of the eyes I caught in late March were still spawning (that I'm aware of) but that was a different part of the lake so I suppose that's a factor.
Thank for your info.

·
Registered
147 Posts
We have caught males there as late as 4/26 and they are still milting. I asked biologist about it the next year at spawn taking operation and he compared males to teenage boys. They are ready to spawn a month before the girls and a month after the girls.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Took a surface temp this morning 04/18 at 7am of 48°. Air temp was 38° .. wind chill was just damn cold w strong gusts still going well into this morning from yesterday.

This comes after 2 days of excessively high wind. Sustained 20-40mph yesterday and gusts all day I'm sure easily into the low 60s.

Did get into some eyes but the first fish I pulled @ 5:44am was what must've been a prespawning bluegill. I read that bluegill spawn approx 65° water. Idk what water temps they prespawn in but I'm curious so I'm gonna do a little research.

So I'm not sure what the actual temp is, if the early morning surface read is to be taken w a grain of salt, or if all this crazy wind is mixing up the water and perhaps it's a little warmer (or a lot warmer) than the surface temp would indicate.

Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
Or, maybe it was a crappie?

Either way, that's a picture of a nice fish... :thumb:

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Was @ Pueblo on Sunday. Water temp @ the north ramp when we launched around 7am was 46.... Was 49 when we got off the water around 3. Warmest we found all day was a little west of mid lake at 54 degrees. The warmest we found on the east end was 51 on the south side.

Thats a white crappie in your pic.

We grinded it all day and between 2 of us only managed 1 walleye, 1 Smallmouth, and 2 spots.

I only managed one spot(little 15.5"er) the rest were caught by my buddy Luke.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thats a white crappie in your pic.
Yea .. of course it was .. I knew that ... I was just testing you guys ... And of course that's consistent with the water temps.

I've not caught enough crappie apparently and not that size. Kinda can't believe he/she was able to take that lure.

Anyway thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The photo period counts as well. Moon phase can also have an effect. I'm finding the fish (bass) far more aggressive than even 10 days ago.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I know fish tend to be more active in certain temperature ranges, and I've been guilty of chasing fish only when things are in that band of increased avtivity. At the same time, I have iced species that I've been guilty of being extra picky with chasing in open water periods of increased activity. I'm starting to think, maybe I need to get better at knowing how to catch a species at all temperature ranges by increasing my knowedge of the species and habits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts