Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
FWIW I took a surface temp this morning (fri 13th) at 8:15am of 49° (air temp 43°). This followed 2 consecutive days of High Wind warnings and gusts > 50mph.

Also of interest (I thought).. I caught a 17" male eye still milting. Interesting because none of the eyes I caught in late March were still spawning (that I'm aware of) but that was a different part of the lake so I suppose that's a factor.

Attachments

· Registered
53 Posts
Took a surface temp this morning 04/18 at 7am of 48°. Air temp was 38° .. wind chill was just damn cold w strong gusts still going well into this morning from yesterday.

This comes after 2 days of excessively high wind. Sustained 20-40mph yesterday and gusts all day I'm sure easily into the low 60s.

Did get into some eyes but the first fish I pulled @ 5:44am was what must've been a prespawning bluegill. I read that bluegill spawn approx 65° water. Idk what water temps they prespawn in but I'm curious so I'm gonna do a little research.

So I'm not sure what the actual temp is, if the early morning surface read is to be taken w a grain of salt, or if all this crazy wind is mixing up the water and perhaps it's a little warmer (or a lot warmer) than the surface temp would indicate.

Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

· Registered
53 Posts
Thats a white crappie in your pic.
Yea .. of course it was .. I knew that ... I was just testing you guys ... And of course that's consistent with the water temps.

I've not caught enough crappie apparently and not that size. Kinda can't believe he/she was able to take that lure.

Anyway thanks for the correction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.