Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been interested in it for a few years now, mostly in making my own spinners. I have a few catalogs from Stamina, Jann's Netcraft, etc. I would also like to learn rodbuilding in the future. I just got out of the hospital and have some free time now, so I think I will start.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ive made my own worm harnesses, Wedding rings and even my own Pop-gear. For awhile I was also making my own plastics. The plastics was a PITA though.

Theres nothing better than catching a fish on something you made.

I like Janns too

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I've been mass producing my own spinners. I got the stuff off of eBay. It only takes 30 seconds to make one for pennies. Makes me feel a lot better when I lose a bunch of spinners at $3 a pop. I have stuff to make crankbaits, too. I'm not that avid a spin fisherman though, so it's sitting on the shelf. It's more of an art project painting little perch or bluegills.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea Im just making them to save money on buying Panther Martins at $3 a pop. Im starting out by making 100 of them, 50 gold, 50 silver. I will paint some as well

·
Registered
674 Posts
I make or modify most of my spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. I also make my own bass jigs. Its nice to be able to pick out what colors you may like that are not available on the market. I also tie a lot of my own flies.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Right now I am in the process of making my own wooden crankbait I cut the wood sanded it and I am now painting it I will post a pic when I am done.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I Make mostly all of my own plastics and molds for making them. Easy to make the molds in any shape you want using modeling clay and fiberglass resin. Kinda a side hobby and supplements some of my costs too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been making my own lures fo 50 years now,and I really find it satisfing.I just lose too many lures to pay the high prices that they are asking.I make the following: Molds,wood crank baits,inline spinners,spinner baits,soft plastic lures,tube lures,pour my own jigs.Snell my own rigs,tie flies.I have made a whole bunch of different stuff over the years.FUN !
You can use the brass worm weights,or the lead (painted or unpainted)for spinner bodies.Always use a good bearing and you will have no problems.You might want to try a single short wide bend hook,instead of the treble.Cheaper and less snags,and easier hook removal.You are making your own so be different.
One of the best sites for making lures is down at this time.It is called Tackle Underground.There are a lot of sites on the internet that you can search.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
any good sources for bullet style lure bodies in both brass and nickel?

also, are there any shops in colorado that sell lure making supplies?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sportsman's Waehouse,Colorado springs.Near Hooters 555 North Chelton Road (719)597-9200
I wan't looking for lure making stuff,but I did see bags of Mepps type blades,brass bodies,clevis. If they have the wire you will have all you need from what little I saw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts