Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out yesterday for the first time of the season. Got our limit in less than 2 hours birds seems to like a big spread of decoys just wondering if anyone else is having this kind of luck???

Fish

·
Registered
107 Posts
Out here in the fine state of Nebraska I shot my first Canada of the season this morning. We spent more time chasing big foot decoys with a 30 mile an hour wind then we did shooting but a buddy and I managed 1 goose and 6 mallards between us. He even shot a banded green head "lucky stinker" so all in all a great day!
Craig

·
Registered
862 Posts
i would like to get back into bird hunting i havent been since i was about 12 or 13 when i used to go with my father...i guess ill have to look into it i remember when we used to go he was in a club that had numerous properties all around CO that would allow it are there many open there many open to the public areas or what?any info would be great

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have only been out once for the ducks (1st split) but not the geese yet. That is pretty good when you get your limit in 2 hours. I have never shot more than two birds in a single day since I started back in 1994. Do you hunt private or public?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I dont shoot geese anymore, but i do like to go out with my friends and practice calling when i get a chance.  theres nothing like seeing a group of birds turn and land in your decoys or calling in a loner that would have otherwise pasted you by.  i havnt been out this year yet, but ive seen a ton of birds around the Longmont/Ft Collins area.   My friends have done well, with all the birds about recently they usually limit out in a short amount of time.  In the past ive hunted over some pretty big spreads (10 or 12 dozen Bigfoot decoys) but weve had luck with smaller spreads of shells also.  its hard to say what works best, but this early in the season small spreads usually still seem to work.

as far as public places to go....they are few and far between in this area (Denver metro and nearby cities) it seems.  the only public lands ive hunted geese and ducks at has been the SWA along the North Platte out east.  its kinda sketchy as far as numbers of birds and hunters, but its still an option.  my advice is either pay for a lease or start talking to land owners.  the land owner option is getting more and more limited, as the guides are hard to compete with as they are willing to pay big bucks to hunt private land and it is not uncommon to hear about them leasing fields for thousands of dollars a season.  if you do find private land to hunt treat the land owner well and try to keep it as long as you can....but that goes without saying i guess.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Years ago I use to belong to a grop called Colorado Waterfowlers. Basically they have like 20 properties and 200 or so members So Wednesday morning within 10 minutes all the decent properties are taken and you're stuck hunting some piece of land that a bird hadn't flown over in years. The final straw was when i showed up early in the morning to set up my spread only to find some idiot the day before took a crap on the blind lid and left it there for me and my girls to discover the next morning. I don't know if that group still is around but in the goose hunting crowd they are known as the skybuster club as anything within a 100 yards is worth a shot so birds actually would change there flight patterns to skirt the CW fields.

So i pretty much gave up goose hunitng have always loved duck hunting and actually there are some really good hidden spots no body takes the time to hunt.

This year a buddy gave me a hole in his blind which is basically near the Kodak plant. I'm guessing the other day we must of seen close to 10K of birds all heading to the same field but like Rottal mentioned had a pack of 200 come in and there's nothing quite like that. Matter a fact I best get to bed as I'm heading out there tomorrow morning.

Fish

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been slaying em this year. I am up to 30 geese and boy is the dog happy about it. She loves to eat sky rats!

Awe heck, here's a pic of her and her take...

The past 4 days have been top notch. I have been running really small spreads. Guys around me are using 5-7 dozen. I ran 14 the other night and limited out in 40 minuts while they still hadn't taken a shot. I will save the big spreads for later on in the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts