Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Bass fishing and I am trying to do as much of that as possible this summer. But my dad is coming into town in a couple weeks and I wanted to take him trout fishing in a good stream. I grew up stream fishing and I really do enjoy it. Nothing is as much fun as trying to outsmart a trout. I had heard that left hand canyon in boulder was a good spot for trout. Does anyone know if it is and have directions to a good spot? Thanks..

·
Registered
267 Posts
i've fished left hand a lot over the past ten years. right now you will find almost exclusively small browns there. (unless it was recently stocked w/ rainbows, i don't know and i haven't fished it this year)
years ago you would catch as many bows and brook trout as browns. i think the drought wiped out the brookies. last year i only caught browns there and one sucker. i had two interesting catches in left hand years ago. one was a creek chub, the only one i have ever seen in colorado. they are native to the streams east of the divide, but they don't seem too common. the other weird catch was a splake, wich i figure was either accidentally stocked or made it's way down from brainard. either way it was 13 inches and the skinniest trout i have ever seen.
my overall opinion of the creek is it is not really that good anymore. i'm not saying don't go for it, but there are lots of good trout streams around here. the south st vrain above lyons along rt 7 is a nice place to fish, but it gets hit pretty hard. if you and your old man can handle hiking a mile or two i can recomend some really good places. what time of year is he coming? and where are you? the poudre is really great if it's not too far. but let me know about the hiking, cause i could clue you into something really "special!"

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in thornton, my dad should be coming in about two weeks. I don't mind hiking a couple of miles if the fishing is good. I am looking for somewhere close to the metro area because I work almost every day and I have to sneak away for an afternoon or something, I cant usually do all day trips. That is why I was looking at boulder area. I went up to poudre canyon last year and caught three real healthy rainbows. It was a great spot but just too far. If there is a couple places closer that would be great if not I will take the longer trip. I just love to fish. Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I occasionally throw a fly into Left Hand Creek because it is only 10 mins away from my workplace and pretty too boot. But it is really small. I have caught a couple of wee brownies. Of course, I am a miserable excuse for a fly fisherman so that might be part of it. I do believe there are mainly very small fish there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts