Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
This technique would work well for lakers... change the sardine to a shiner. Use the first jig head.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, I'm sure kite fishing would be deadly on muskie or pike (where live bait is allowed).

It's pretty much standard practice among So. Fl. professional guides and serious fisherman. The idea is to keep the baitfish struggling and splashing right at the surface, attracting any gamefish in the area, and results in an exciting top water show.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/features/kite_fishing/

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
2 things with kite fishing Colo.

1) Im not sure you would troll fast enough in freshwater to keep the kite up.

2) Not sure our bodies of water are big enough for that.

But I do think it would work.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

L

·
0 Posts
I've kite-fished for Sail's in south Florida before and it is a neat way to present live bait. The baitfish can move more naturally in the water as it doesn't have 100 yards of heavy monofiliament lying in the water, weighting down the fish. We tied a red ribbon about 10 or 12 feet above the bait on the line so you could see what the bait was doing in the water. You always knew when a sail was near because your goggle-eye would try to dive down but could only go so far.

When we kite-fished, we anchored off and let the wind carry the kite. We only needed 100 yards or so of room to use this technique. One final thought,,,, I don't think you could get very precise placement of your bait by flying a kite. I thought of it more as an open water technique, not a precise placement technique. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think most of the Colorado fisherman I have met would roll over in pain if they knew our "precious" Goggle Eyes (Big eyed Scad) were selling for $60.00 a dozen on normal days and up to $200.00 a dozen during tournaments!!! This is one of the reasons I sold my charter boat and now enjoy trout fishing in Colorado instead of kite fishing in Jupiter!!
A typical full day trip takes 2-3 dozen Goggs!!!
How many flies and spinners can you buy for that amount of money?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts