Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a GPS and was needing some opinions on them. How is the coverage in dense tree cover? Any complaints about them?

So far I've found a Garmin eTrex VistaC that should fit the bill but it's hard to find any solid opinions on them.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yup, have a Garmin GPSMap 60CS. In the summer, when I troll, I mark the location where I get strikes. In the winter, I have marked waypoints on lakes where I have had good luck for lake trout.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cutthroat said:
Yup, have a Garmin GPSMap 60CS. In the summer, when I troll, I mark the location where I get strikes. In the winter, I have marked waypoints on lakes where I have had good luck for lake trout.
I've ready a lot of good things on those but they are pretty pricey. How much did you pick yours up for if you don't mind telling?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I got it a couple months after they came out from Amazon.com (free shipping, no tax). I think their price was something around $390 or so. They had a deal for some kind of discount with electronics purchases and I had another chunk of "free" money from another promotion, so I ended up paying nearly $100 less than asking price for it. They are pricy, but it's nice to have the mapping capability, and the good antenna that has never failed me (like etrex sometimes does) in steep canyons. Color display is nice. If you think the CS is pricy, you can save money by going with the B&W version, which is closer to the $250 mark, I think. Not sure if any of the other cool features have been scaled back on it, but color is really just a luxury on these things.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cutthroat said:
I got it a couple months after they came out from Amazon.com (free shipping, no tax). I think their price was something around $390 or so. They had a deal for some kind of discount with electronics purchases and I had another chunk of "free" money from another promotion, so I ended up paying nearly $100 less than asking price for it. They are pricy, but it's nice to have the mapping capability, and the good antenna that has never failed me (like etrex sometimes does) in steep canyons. Color display is nice. If you think the CS is pricy, you can save money by going with the B&W version, which is closer to the $250 mark, I think. Not sure if any of the other cool features have been scaled back on it, but color is really just a luxury on these things.
I really like that option of having an external antenna, it seems to be able to cut through heavy tree cover. I may have to just say the hell with it and spring for that 60CS model

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought a Magellan sport trak one of the best features is that it is water proof and it floats  :eek:!!!!!!! a must have feature when you are spending alot of time near water. i would much rather it float down a river than sink to the bottom of the lake.
I have had no problems with it other than when you get into deep cover it takes a sec or two find the satalites. I payed 200.00 for the unit and also got the topo software which is a plus software is about another 100$ i got lucky and got the software for free with the rebates. if you can get the software I would recommend it. it has all the P.O.I on it and all the roads in the U.S. it is very handy if you are traveling out of state. Good luck with whatever brand you get.

James
James

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I use ours a lot for icefishing way points. I will make the name include species, depth, and cover so I know what to expect next time if I want to fish the same spot. however, we will all have to learn again this year as many of our old points during the drought will now be useless as they will be too deep for many species. Just a thought.

B

·
0 Posts
I also have the Lowrance H2o, the best thing about it is that you can run the Navionics hotmap premium chip in it. Check out the navionic maps before you buy.........

D

·
0 Posts
bobco-

Which Navionics chips do you have? I've been wondering if they're worth the money. I downloaded the free maps from Lowrance's website for Blue Mesa, Flaming Gorge, Pueblo, and a few others. The only one I've used extensively so far is the one for the Gorge and it's really pretty good, especially since it's free!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
From a boat, I find my GPS indispensable. I use it to mark depths, structure, hazards, boat ramps (useful when I'm returning to the ramp when it starts to get dark :p) and positions of fishing spots along with a fishing journal to note conditions and time of year. Mine is the older black and white Lowrance LCX-15MT model. I've also used it with the free contour maps from the Lowrance web site and they are nice even though they are off a bit from my experience.

Bottom line, I think this technology has revolutionized the way people fish.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I love using mine. both on the water and off.

I find it comes in real handy even when the water is low. A few years ago when Quincy was down about 15 feet I walked around the lake marking precisely where they had put in structure. I did the same at Aurora I also marked humps and points and all that kind of stuff. Unfortunately some how I lost all of that information. but for a year it was great.

Dan

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have the extrex legend and I do not like it due to the small screen and I lose signal when I am around steep canyons, building, mountains, and dense tree cover. I would like to get the GPS map 60c. If you were looking for something to use on a boat, I know the Eagle Cuda 240 has GPS capabilities. I think you can buy it online for $200.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yep, GPS is the only way to go.

I have a old Garmin GPS III plus with the roads and rec CD - 7 years old and still working great. The boat has the Lowrance 332 with US coastal and great lakes navionics chip, plus Map Create - topo software (no depth contours though) for inland lakes. The boat came with a Humminbird 67 that is backup.

B

·
0 Posts
Don, I have the premium hotmaps west ,$200, I used the Lowrance map for the Gorge before I got the chip and it is comparable and accurate. The Navionics for Blue Mesa is way better , allot more detail in Blue Mesa. I also use the Lake Powell map that lowrance did/doesnt have. For me it was $200 well spent..

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks bobco-

I figured that if I ever get back into fishing Powell a lot I would have to break down and buy the Navionics chip for the West. Sure wish they had more Colorado lakes on it.

B

·
0 Posts
the 2006 release may add more and they may do some 1' contours in 2006, just have to wait to see....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I broke down and made my purchase. I got the Garmin GPSMap 76CS with the Topo software. I can't wait to try this big daddy out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with that, I have the GPSMap76S and I use it to mark fishing/hunting spots. I wish they had the color version out when I bought mine. I even took it to Europe and marked the Hotel so I could get back when walking around the city. I think you made a good choice.

Hobb3s said:
Well I broke down and made my purchase. I got the Garmin GPSMap 76CS with the Topo software. I can't wait to try this big daddy out.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I agree- good choice. It's like the large-screen version of the 60CS. Color is nice, the bigger LCD is nice, and I think it handles the new generation of hi-res topos, like the 60? Does the 76CS have the expansion card?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts