Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you guys have aquariums with fish like bass, bluegill or catfish. I've been thinking about doing the same thing, and I was just wondering where you got your fish. I haven't been able to find a local hatchery that provides fish for individuals. Any information is helpful!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have bluegill in my pond in my back yard. Used to have a bass too but it ate way too many of the other fish. So we ate him.

I caught them at a little pond a few blocks from the house.

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i got a gill and some shinners in my aquarium used to have a craw but he managed to climb out and i didnt find him before he dried up a bit so e went in the freezer for future bait use

i got mine from a local pond brush hollow to be exact

i have found suppliers out of state that cater to stocking small ponds but you have to buy quite a few at one time

check some of these guys
http://www.aquaculturemag.com/siteenglish/interneted/fish4sale.html

also talk to the owner/manager of a small fish/aquarium store you might be able to talk them into ordering a few for you

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Used to have a bass too but it ate way too many of the other fish. So we ate him.
...hope you dont have any dogs or cats!... ;D

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I had an aquarium with little bass and bluegill at my house in Minnesota. Then I made the mistake of putting a small catfish in there. The next morning when I got up the catfish was swimming all alone. But his belly was really full. :)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
zman said:
Used to have a bass too but it ate way too many of the other fish. So we ate him.
...hope you dont have any dogs or cats!... ;D
i lost a whole small pond with a dozen nice koi to a raccoon back in san diego

·
Registered
636 Posts
I used to have a few cats in an aquarium but they grew pretty big so I released them at cherry creek. When I worked at my uncle's pet shop in Philly, we could order them, bluegills, and tiger muskies for under two bucks each. I don't know where you would get them here though.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I've always questioned legality of keeping game fish in aquariums, but paid no mind and kept some anyways. I had a few small bass that grew too fast and then released them back where they came from.

My favorites are green sunfishes. I had some that started off thumb sized and ended up about the size of my hand. Very hardy and they put on quite a show because they're always willing to eat.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
1eyeReD said:
I've always questioned legality of keeping game fish in aquariums, but paid no mind and kept some anyways. I had a few small bass that grew too fast and then released them back where they came from.

My favorites are green sunfishes. I had some that started off thumb sized and ended up about the size of my hand. Very hardy and they put on quite a show because they're always willing to eat.
the way i see it (in my own little world) the reg prohibit moveing fish from 1 lake or stream to another so as long as i am within my bag and posesion limits im OK there are some states that specificaly state any fish taken into possesion must be killed immediatly but have not seen that in any co regs just that if you take it into possesion it counts towards your bag limit even if it is released latter hence no culling

·
Registered
460 Posts
I sent an email to teh DOW asking if it was legal and to asking if they sold fish in small numbers. I will tell you teh reply when i get it. I found some store in the Denver area about a year ago that sold fish. So it has to be legal. But now I can't find the site to save my life.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
hunterfishercamper said:
I sent an email to teh DOW asking if it was legal and to asking if they sold fish in small numbers. I will tell you teh reply when i get it. I found some store in the Denver area about a year ago that sold fish. So it has to be legal. But now I can't find the site to save my life.
hunterfishercamper,

Thanks. It'd be nice to know. A little late for me though because I no longer have time to take care of an aquarium.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just because it is sold in a store dont make it legal. i can find trot lines in durango and cast nets in san diego and you cant use iether in those places
it will be interesting to hear what the dow says if they say NO ask them to quote the reg that pertain

·
Registered
460 Posts
If they say no i will ask them to tell me. I am also going to ask them what the fine will be fi i get caught, what would it take for them to get a warrant to search my house for illegal fish, what happens if you order from out of state, and why they beleive raising game fish as pets is bad. I think they wont want fish taken from their habitats, but dont think they have a problem with buying fish jsut to have as pets.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have called these people twice. Got their answering machine and left a message. No returned calls. I usually don't get to try until 3:00 so they may be closed by then. I am going to try oneday when I am home around lunch or when i can get to a phone. Schools dont exactly like you calling a company to find out about fish on their phones. Someone else who is interested could call and see what they say. if not i am going to keep trying.

·
Registered
374 Posts
it is illegal to catch a game fish and keep it in an aquarium.
it is legal to BUY a game fish and keep it in an aquarium.
this was told to me by bill over at alpine angler years 3yrs ago.
hasnt stopped me from having many different bass,gills,perch,and pike in the past.whos gonna catch ya.
shawn

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
PIKER said:
it is illegal to catch a game fish and keep it in an aquarium.
it is legal to BUY a game fish and keep it in an aquarium.
this was told to me by bill over at alpine angler years 3yrs ago.
hasnt stopped me from having many different bass,gills,perch,and pike in the past.whos gonna catch ya.
shawn
do you have some sort of reg quote? word of mouth from a tackel shop doesnt hold much water

1 - 20 of 43 Posts