Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to have a large aquarium with warm water fish in it. I think that it would be great to see your favorite fish swimming around, like a Bass Pro. DOes anyone out there have one and if so, how hard is it to keep it clean. I think I would like bass, catfish and maybe crappie. I think it would be cool to catch small perch and gold fish for food.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got a 75gal tank that I've did that with before.. Now it's just African cichlids though.. What I did was sein a creek and get smaller fish. It's a blast watching how they react to getting feed and their routine to baits. As for keeping it clean it's not any worse than any other fish. It's worth it. You can learn alot.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I have been wanting to have my own huge tank for some time now, I just havent owned a house to put one up at yet.... I close on my house on the 27th, so maybe I can build my first tank. Here is a site that has got me hooked on the idea for some time:
http://members.shaw.ca/wmastop/bigtank/Startb~1.htm

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a 90 gallon that I clean once every 5-6months. I went all out on filtration and didn't skimp. I have cichlids as well. We have had 2 breedings of Electric Blues. Each was right around 30 fish. I gave them away for free to people. If we have more, I will post them on here for free as well.

My water is clear, ph level good, and the fish are healthy with no dieases ever.

Do not skimp on the setup. If you do, you will pay for it in cleaning time and dead fish.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started this to see evryones opinion. I want to catch and bring home some small fish only for an aquarium. I don't wan't to be illegal about it. But one day I would love to have an aquarium of all warm water fish. I used to install and maintain salt water aquariums and I understand about the ph and filtration syatems. I was just asking if the lake fish are any harder to keep than salt water. Thaks for all the input.

Johnny MO

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Ummm to be legal you would have to purchase the fish and not catch them. Also lake fish are just as hard to take care of then saltwater fish. You just have to buy less equipment.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Once when I was young and foolish (as opposed to being old and foolish) I thought I wanted to build my own huge aquarium from scratch. I had in mind something about six ft. tall and full of the local kinds of fish.

Then I did the engineering calculations and discovered that the total water pressure on the glass sides would amount to several tons. Gulp! That was when I decided to leave the design details to the people who build aquariums for a living, and who know how to cut really, really thick glass.

It's fun, though, to watch little bass, bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and the like, swimming around in your own living room.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'm getting older but Im still foolish!!! There is a calculator for finding out how many gallons of water your tank will hold.. The woman will kill me if it leaks or breaks though. :p
http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

http://www.garf.org/ is a great site to answer most aquarium related questions.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I agree I tried to build a 2ft x 2ft square that didnt turn out so good....I have a 315 gallon saltwater tank I got from a good friend when he died, the bigger the tank the easyer to up keep... Oh and epic I dont like that design at all for that site you posted wouldent trust it after 6 months or so,... you could paint the wood with epoxy paint that will seal the wood.. any way if you want pics of mine just ask ill post some mine is 10' "8" Long by 2foot square with 5/8 thick glass..

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I love looking at fish tanks post some, anything with water and fish captures my attention. :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I do not want to build a tank. I have seen it done and have helped with the process. To much work and like you said. It is a mess when all the water les go in your living room. I would rather buy one and stock it.

Johnny

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you are going to get a tank, make sure that you don't be cheap and buy something big to begin with. If not your fish are going to need a bigger tank and you will eventually have to purchase a bigger one eventually with a higher wattage heater and better filter. It is not a cheap hobby and I would have to say that freshwater fish are a lot more easier than saltwater by far.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a 55 gallon fish tank currently harboring a couple native fish (all from pet stores) I have a catfish, green sunfish, and two bass. The fish are awesome. Its nice to look over and see teh fish hanging out. My fish arent too bad to upkeep. I feed them pellets everyday and once a week i get them a few dozen ruby red minnows. The only hard thing si keeping the tank clean. Since i have to feed my catfish i drop pellets on the bottom. Whatever he doesnt just sits on teh bottom and falls apart. So teh tank gets dirty pretty quickly. Also i have to run 2 filters on high or 3 filters on medium. This keeps teh water crystal clear. I run two pumps and they put out the perfect amount of air. but hte fish are getting too big for my tank to hold them and i want to get smaller ones. So in a few weeks i will be getting new baby fish.

Absolute angler (64th and wads) sells any fish you want straight from the hatchery. Pet Ranch (independence and 58th...near kipling and 58th) sells a green sunfish right now (labeled something like south american chichlid, albino channel cats, and he also has a foot long channel cat. I will be selling mine back to this guy so soon he will have 2 bass, 2 green sunfish, adn my channel cat. Petco sells baby channel cats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts