Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished for a short time today, for a half hour around 12:30. Fished the Big Bass pond on the north side where it connects with the Little bass pond. Was tossing a smoke colored grub with silver flakes, rigged with a work hook, and a small split shot up about 4 inchs. After a few casts hooked in to about a 18 inch large mouth about 10 feet off the shore. After about another 5 casts got one about the same size in the same amount of water. Both hit the grub on the fall, and when they did hit the SMASHED the grub. Had to go back and coach so thats all I got in today! Anyone else fish there?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm not sure where Arapahoe Bend Ponds are. I may havbe fished there but not known where I was.

I have been catching some big bass in Fort Collins ponds lately too. good job.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are right off of I 25 and Harmony, just to the north of Harmony and west of I 25. When you come up to them you see just a few ponds at first, but I was fishing one toward the back. As I stated, it was called BIG BASS. Where were you having your luck at and with what?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks for the info. I always see those ponds but for some reason I thought they were private. Thanks for the info, I will check them out.

I have been fishing places like Riverbend and North Shields and have had the best luck with soft plastics such as weightless senkos and tubes. I had some luck with spinnerbaits for a bit as well. The bigger bass I've caught haven't seemed to be very agressive (possibly because they're recovering from the spawn) and liked the slower presentation of the senkos.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya from harmony I can see how they would look private, but one day when I was at Prospect Ponds I was talking to a Ranger he mentioned those. I was at Riverbend for a while and got one small bass on the big pond, and missed a few. Didnt see many out there to my surprise, could have been the wind. One guy in a float tube w/ his son seemed to be throwing spinner baits and said he hadnt gotten anything all day. Which pond at riverbend do you have the most luck at? I use to fish only at prospect and never got skunked there, even if it was bass under 12. Only good thing I have pulled out of prospect was a HUGE crappie, biggest I have ever caught by far, also on a black grub.

On another not, how do you fish the senkos? Have seen your posts before and seems like you have good luck with them. Like I said earlier I was using smoke grubs w/ the split shot, giving them 3 small jerks along the bottom then taking up the slack.

·
Registered
664 Posts
For senkos, I fish them weightless with a 2/0 Gamakatsu EWG worm hook. Rig it Texas style with the point all the way through the worm. cast it and let it sink...it will sink slowly horizontally. I count it down 10 or 20 counts depending on the depth and then give it a tug or two and repeat the process until I have retreived it to the shore. If you cast it into holes in the weeds or near ambush spots like sunken timber the bass often nail it as soon as it hits the water.

I also fish tubes similar to the way you are fishing grubs. I will use a 1/0 worm hook and rig the tube texas style and then instead of using split shot, I use a 1/4 oz bullet sinker and peg it about 16" above the tube with a toothpick. This gets it down to the bottom and the tube floats and darts weightlessly above the sinker as you retrieve it in. This is a killer technique for largemouth and smallmouth.

At riverbend, I typically fish the 'big pond' but have also had some luck in the 'west milne pond' which is the one in the southwest corner nearest prospect and the river. My average bass out of Riverbend has been about 14-15". I haven't caught any hogs out there but I'm sure they're around.

I find that the bass at riverbend are very hit and miss...If you can find them, you can catch them but the big pond has a lot of area for them to hide and they seem to group up for some reason. Fortunately, you can write off large areas of the big pond because it is simply too shallow to hold bass in the hot summer months (less than a foot of water) In fact, Most of the northern part of that pond is way too shallow. The big pond has a deep channel dredged around 2/3 of the perimiter. The deepest water in the pond is in this channel. The west side has a lot of overhanging trees and such that have fallen in the channel and you can fish them as ambush spots. The southern side is lined with reeds which, if you're in a boat, you can pitch things up against, and the eastern side has standing timber on the outside edge of the channel that you can cast to from shore or hit from a boat. Cover flanking this channel seems to be a good bet as the summer months approach...think cover with easy access to deep water and you should be set.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I noticed at Riverbend that northeast side of the lake is so damn shallow. Thats where I walked up to si I fished it for a second, not too long as the small tube/ leadhead jig got stuf in the brush and had to yank it off. The one I got in was on the west side, next to some sunken timber along the reeds. It was on the white tube. Other I missed was in the south west corner. I want to get a float tube out on that pond, cause it looks like you could have a great time with all that cover! Just have to buy the float tube....and waders!

FT when do you normally get out there?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been hitting the big lake at Arapahoe a few times in the last several weeks as well as Riverbend, North Shields and Troutman ponds at Troutman park. All the bass I have caught at any of these places has come on either a pumpkin tube with internal jighead or a grub in black or white. I fished the big pond at Arapahoe bend this past Thursday with a pumkin senko worm and only caught one sunfish. i had pretty good luck there on tubes and black grubs the week before. The bass just seem to be really picky right now.

Glad to hear that someone is having luck catching some nice sized bass around here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts