Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are any other Archers in the forum who might want to go chase some elk this fall.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
what area did you plan on going.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well considering that the unlimited tag is good for any area but those listed in the regs i was thinking of hitting a few west of the springs like units 581,691,86,561,and 551. they are all linked and run south in a circular dir near eleven mile res. look like some good area and you can work it fairly well.
it means alot of driving and walking but hey i just quite smoking.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i was thinking of hitting up 86 in the sangres, i guess i should get a bow first though

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sportsmans has a great package deal bow sight rest damper peep and nock string for 349 all you have to buy are the arrows and the release

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
im a glutton for punishment and will be shopping for a long bow, dont suppose they have any of those?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
road man you gotta call me tonight lol i spent 18yr hunting with a longbow and yes they do have themfor the same price i will pm you with the numberlol

L

·
0 Posts
Wow, just getting into archery and hunting a new area for elk? You'll probably get a trophy. Really, beginners luck you know! It took me several years before getting a bull, and I've had a couple dry years since.

Good luck. Just a suggestion for first time archery elk hunters, find an area without the 4 point restriction. If you do, your odds of success will increase.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
im thinking of an archery cow and then a rifle bull both unlimited in my local unit and between the 2 i should have a chance of baging something

L

·
0 Posts
laler this i not my first time hunting elk just the first in colorado
Good luck. I've not heard much about those areas you mentioned. Check the herd numbers in those units for densities, it may or may not be good area. The unit I hunted for 10 years has in the last couple years had declining herd numbers and hunting successes has gone way down while trophy potential has gone way up. The only people getting Bulls are the people that know the area like the back of their hand.

Archery hunting is truly the most exciting and rewarding hunting. The first big game animal I took with a bow was a life changing experience. Now you've got me all excited for elk camp this year and the fishing season is just barely starting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts