Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
boy it wont be long till these lakes are solid i just watched the news and it is below 0 everywhere and down in alamosa they said -36 to -50 degrees GOOOOOOD LOOOOORRRRRRD that is cold anyone down there in alamosa? That kinda cold is not just cold it HURTS literally <<sp??

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Larimee Wyoming was -23 this morning...the way the wind blows up there...

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr!!!

They havent printed enough money in the history of mankind to get me to move back to Minnesota!!...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea they say this cold front is the coldest one weve gotten in CO in 2 yrs i personally like both seasons ( summer and winter) but this is rediculus cold.... minnesota is one of the few states i heavent been tobut im sure it gets real cold up there

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The coldest I ever experienced in Minnesota was 60 below... I could put a warm 6 pack of beer outside on my back step and it would turn to slush in the cans in 2 or 3 minutes...

The farms that had those white horizontal propane or LP gas tanks sitting outside to heat their house with had problems... the gas liquefied and laid down in the tank and wouldn't generate any pressure to feed gas into the house... so to get some gas for heat, they would go out and build a bonfire under the propane tank to heat it up. I am not kidding about this, no sane person would want to be within 5 miles of that operation.

I remember the joke about the old trapper who opened the back door of his cabin and threw out a pot of coffee... It froze so fast that the ice was still hot...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
No problem... we try to filter out all forms of excrement on this site. :)

Some of it still gets through, unfortunately! :p
I think Ken is referring to my posts, which sometimes manage to actually make it to the board.... ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
It was -15 when I got to work on Ft. Carson. crazy cold!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think my Minnesota record is -45. I'm with Z-man, no way you could get me to move back there, no matter how good the pike fishing is.

a note: at -20, spit will freeze before it hits the ground.

at -40 a cup of water thrown into the air will instantly freeze and crystalize into snow. They used to do this parlor trick on the 10:00 news every so often.

At least in colorado it only gets below zero for a few hours, instead of weeks at a time as in MN.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
My dad used to tell me that the day I was born it was so cold (iron range, MN) that one of the shovel buckets in the pit broke in half,,, or was it that h*** was begining to freeze over?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea they did somthin on the news last night where they soaked a shirt in water and threw it outside it almost froze instantly i think it was fox 31 if i remember right.............seems like there is quite a few of u guys on here originally from min. it must be cold up there if u come here to get away from it lol

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
the winter of '78-79, it was so cold that year in Northern SD that the river supplying water to our town froze nearly solid. All we could get out of the tap was a trickle of water. Sponge baths were the rule and and it would take 20-30 minutes to fill a gallon jug with water. That winter we set a record for most consecutive days below 0 and most consecutive days below freezing. We did not get alot of snow it was too cold. When the temp rose up into the 20's or 30's it would snow then.

The folks from the northern tier states will appreciate this.

At lunch time instead of eating lunch everyone who drove to school would go out to the parking lot and start their car and let it run during the lunch hour. If you did not your car would not start after school. As soon as you got home you plugged your car in.

I don't miss that!

Dan

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dan said:
have you ever seen a car overheat in -30 weather? It never happened to me but it did to a few of my friends.

It really does happen, anyone else ever seen it?

Dan
If the coolant in the radiator freezes the engine will overheat because there is no flow! I have seen it happen to others.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
How about the people that would leave their car plugged in overnight and then forget about it when they took off for work in the morning. I can't count the number of cars I have seen going down the street dragging a long extension cord behind them.

·
Registered
935 Posts
farmer ted said:
Dan said:
have you ever seen a car overheat in -30 weather? It never happened to me but it did to a few of my friends.

It really does happen, anyone else ever seen it?

Dan
If the coolant in the radiator freezes the engine will overheat because there is no flow! I have seen it happen to others.
Happened to me about 15 years ago.  I had a radiator hose go out during summer, and replaced the lost coolant with water.  Then, we had record cold temps (lived in Western Washington, at the time), and my radiator froze and engine overheated.  Fortunately saw the warning light and took care of the problem.  Coolant looked like thick slush in the radiator.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Walking Eagle said:
How about the people that would leave their car plugged in overnight and then forget about it when they took off for work in the morning. I can't count the number of cars I have seen going down the street dragging a long extension cord behind them.
haha i could only imagine...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts