Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I had my dog get one in his mouth yrs. ago-it was a big bull frog. He spit it out quick. They must secrete a noxious substance because he started foaming at the mouth (I am not making this up) and acting really strange. Anyway, that was his experience with "toad licking". In a few hrs. he was back to normal. My girlfriend and I still laugh about it but to be honest, I was afraid I might lose him for a few hrs. Ed

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've seen frogs at just about every warm water lake ive fihsed, pueblo, brush hollow, boulder/longmont area reservoirs, the colorado river, the arkansas river, just never in the mtns.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I see frogs quite a bit...but anyone thats lived here awhile notice that there isnt as many toads as there use to be? when i was a kid it seemed like they were everywhere...during the summer they were always in the streets and all over lawns and what not...now i cant really remember that last time ive seen any. ive heard they are on a decline due to some reason...pollution or something similiar....which doesnt surprise me i guess

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yep brush hollow has a batch of them big bull frogs havnt been there in a bit but when the water was up in the weeds they were all over the east end

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Ed Marcol said:
I had my dog get one in his mouth yrs. ago-it was a big bull frog. He spit it out quick. They must secrete a noxious substance because he started foaming at the mouth (I am not making this up) and acting really strange. Anyway, that was his experience with "toad licking". In a few hrs. he was back to normal. My girlfriend and I still laugh about it but to be honest, I was afraid I might lose him for a few hrs. Ed
Ed, thats why they pee on you. Its their defense if they get put in an animals mouth they pee and makes them all foamy like that. My dog use to chase toads all the time and for like 10-15 mins after he try to bite them he would be foamin and biting air and licking lips and sometimes coughing. HE wasnt the brightest dog cause as soon as he was good he'd be chasing them again.

Rottal said:
I see frogs quite a bit...but anyone thats lived here awhile notice that there isnt as many toads as there use to be? when i was a kid it seemed like they were everywhere...during the summer they were always in the streets and all over lawns and what not...now i cant really remember that last time ive seen any. ive heard they are on a decline due to some reason...pollution or something similiar....which doesnt surprise me i guess
I've noticed from just last year to this year there seem to be less toads, the in-laws live in Canon City and last year had a ton of toads in the back yard/ drive way at night. I (we) haven't noticed any this year.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Quote Wrom: FXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQW

Ed, thats why they pee on you. Its their defense if they get put in an animals mouth they pee and makes them all foamy like that. My dog use to chase toads all the time and for like 10-15 mins after he try to bite them he would be foamin and biting air and licking lips and sometimes coughing. HE wasnt the brightest dog cause as soon as he was good he'd be chasing them again.
good thing ya dont live in australia they got them cane toads. they exude a poison so leathal justabout anything that tries to eat em dies

quote from http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/canetoad.htm

Toxicity
All stages of the Cane Toad's life-cycle are poisonous. The venom produced by the parotoid glands acts principally on the heart. No humans have died in Australia from Cane Toad poison but overseas, people have died after eating toads and even soup made from boiled toad eggs. Cane Toads are also poisonous to pets and in Hawaii up to 50 dogs a year have died after mouthing Cane Toads. Signs of poisoning through ingestion include profuse salivation, twitching, vomiting, shallow breathing, and collapse of the hind limbs. Death may occur by cardiac arrest within 15 minutes.

Australian native fauna that have been killed by eating or mouthing Cane Toads include goannas, Freshwater Crocodile, Tiger Snake, Red-bellied Black Snake, Death Adder, Dingo and Western Quoll.

A Cane Toad responds to threat by turning side-on so its parotoid glands are directed towards the attacker. The venom usually oozes out of the glands, but toads can squirt a fine spray for a short distance if they are handled roughly. The venom is absorbed through mucous membranes such as eyes, mouth and nose, and in humans may cause intense pain, temporary blindness and inflammation.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
We see and catch lots of big frogs at the marina boat ramp at Chatfield. The bet time to find them is after dark under the lights of the marina. We also find them and turtles at the kingfisher area of chatfield.

Dan

·
Registered
460 Posts
Over by Tucker Lake (an irrigation pond next too Arvada Reservoir) there are hundreds of frogs. These things range in size from tiny to enormous. Go out at night and shine a flashlight at them and the ground is covered with them.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I too see leopard frogs and bullfrogs everywhere and sometimes toads. I heard that they have been on the decline though because of the depletion of the ozone layer or something. One thing that I have never seen in the wild though are waterdogs. Anyone else see them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts