Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading down to Tucson to buy a car and driving it back the first week in May. I would like to take my gear with me and do some fishing along the way back. I've never fished AZ before and can't find much good info., but my impression is that the streams rely on stocking :-\. Is it worth stopping in AZ to do some fishing? I love fishing the small streams and there seems to be some interesting ones in the White Mountains. I believe they are done with runoff now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If I was in Arizona with time on my hands, I would stop at Lees Ferry. The walk in area is kind of limited, but you can rent a boat for $250 or so, and then you have 15 miles of great fishery at your disposal.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I believe there is some cool fishing in the Gila Wilderness on the eastern part of AZ, although I don't know if that would be on the way for you.

Just come back to and fish Southwestern CO. There is a lot of water to check out that may be a farther drive from the front range than you would normally want to do. The Animas, San Juan, Piedra just to name a few.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am now just planning on driving straight to NM and fishing some of the old haunts from when I was working in Los Alamos. I can't find enough info on quality AZ streams to where I feel like spending even more time and gas investigating than the drive from Tucson will already take. Thanks for the replies though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts