Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original plan for today was to do some ice fishing, but the weather reports of wind and snow in the mountains made me change plans. I decided to head south to Pueblo and fish the Ark. This was my second time ever there, and since I skunked last January, was ready to get some revenge this time. Did just that. I caught 8 fish on the day, one brown, 7 rainbows. Nothing too huge, the biggest being a 14" rainbow, but most were 10" or so. It was fun to catch most of them (5) on dry flies. There were lots of rising fish all around and once I switched to dries I did much better. Maybe it's just that I need to learn nymphing and detecting strikes better, but for me the dry fly action today between 1:00 and 3:00 was what did it for me. Flies that worked for me were small BWO and tricos. Oh, another highlight on the day was when I was crossing the river I totally spooked a big brown trout in the shallows. I got a good look and I'd put it around 20". Fun day. Sorry, no pics, I just didn't think I caught anything picture worthy.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Sounds like a good time... Nice to catch em on dries, no matter the size... I have seen a lot of TINY beatis activity of late.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Excellent...it is always a blast to hit the river with a long rod this time of year. Dry action makes any size of fish a lot of fun! Thanks for posting..

Yeah..and by the way, you must of seen my Brown!!! No, haha, I caught one down river from there that was in the range of 22"~24" like a year and a half ago though..so they are in there waiting for you!

D.J.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DJ is that u, I fished with you a couple of weeks ago, I was from NM and you helped me out and showed me some spots. Sound familiar? Anyway, I caught about 12-15 a day and jeppers I hooked into a large one up by the bridge and another one by those three rocks up above that run you showed me. He ran me three times and then threw the hook on a jump ... he was every bit 20"
Thanks for the heads up and will be looking forward to next time I am up there, will definitly be back!!
Blake

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
nymphnmaniac said:
DJ is that u, I fished with you a couple of weeks ago, I was from NM and you helped me out and showed me some spots. Sound familiar? Anyway, I caught about 12-15 a day and jeppers I hooked into a large one up by the bridge and another one by those three rocks up above that run you showed me. He ran me three times and then threw the hook on a jump ... he was every bit 20"
Thanks for the heads up and will be looking forward to next time I am up there, will definitly be back!!
Blake
I don't think so nymphnmaniac? But would be glad to if you are up here at some point! There is many spots to know..and would be glad to share what I know.

D.J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts