Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the 11th street section yesterday(6:30am-1:30pm), was a tough numbers and size day, managed 8(all small ~10"), water was cold as all get out and had icing problems until about 10:30, I'm glad the guy I'm teaching had to bail on me due to sickness, he wouldn't have had a good time, I hate it when my hands are that cold for that long, they ached all day, even after getting warmed up. Nymphing was tough, got a few on a slumpbuster.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
That was tough Drew... Probably as slow as I can remember in the last four or five months... maybe the fish are finally starting to feel the cold. I swear, they have acted like it's Oct for months now!

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had good days in the winter before, the fish were just being picky, you caught the only other fish I saw caught, lots of bait dunkers showed up with one of them having a dog that I thought was going to get me while his back was turned re-rigging his line, glad I said something and he called the dog off. Good days will show up I'm sure, but next time I may wait to get out until later in the morning after the icing problems.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I fished the water treatment plant yesterday and friday. It was great! I nymphed from about noon to 2 and after 2 they started rising so a size 20 bwo was the ticket! Pulled out mostly bo's but caught a few brownies too.

It's pretty frustrating fishing to rising fish with the bait dunkers chucking powerbait at them...how do you tell them that rising fish aren't looking for powerbait?!?!

Sounds like you took off right when the fish were biting! It was definetly warming up and that seemed to get the fishing biting again.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next time I'll just come later, I did see some fish starting to rise and bugs comming off at around 1, I'm not a dry fly fisherman unless it's off the chain, I hookup with about 1 out of every 10-15 takes on a dry fly, so I don't bother with it anymore cuz I suck at it, Emergers will still get the job done in those conditions.

C

·
0 Posts
glad you caught some fish but that cold water sounds rough especially fly fishing. All that cold wet line running through your hands constantly. I had enough problems with the baitcaster getting me wet yesterday :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Koldkut said:
Next time I'll just come later, I did see some fish starting to rise and bugs comming off at around 1, I'm not a dry fly fisherman unless it's off the chain, I hookup with about 1 out of every 10-15 takes on a dry fly, so I don't bother with it anymore cuz I suck at it, Emergers will still get the job done in those conditions.
I am normally a nymph fisherman as well, but I can't get that image of a fish rising to a fly out of my head! My only problem is the BWO is so small that I sometimes lose sight of it and I miss takes. It gets old watching a bubble float across the water that you think is your fly!

I think these fish aren't as picky as to eating something on the surface, or subsurface. I've had luck running a foam back RS2 dropped behind a BWO, and I've even had them take a griffiths and adams. This makes for some easy dry fly fishing compared to finding the perfect fly, perfect size and perfect presentation for the picky fish, like on the dream stream and blue.

I did end up tying on a huge ugly hopper pattern as an indicator fly, and I even got a few tail slaps at it, but that same fish then ends up taking the BWO dropper!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts