Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the Ark below Salida yesterday. Got there about 9 am.
It was a fantastic day on the river. Caught 30+ fish had many more on. The best nymph by far was a size 18 FB bead head P-tail ,but also got fish on the Gold Ice and Copper Ice Nymphs. Fished Until 6:30 PM and the action was consistent all day. Finished the day Above Salida.
Biggest Brown was 18", biggest Rainbows were 17. Even caught 2 browns at once! one hit the P-tail one the Gold ice. Almost lost my rod but managed to recover it. thats a whole other storey.
Today i got to Spinny at 9AM an fished until 1PM at the 2nd parking lot. Haven't been there in over a month and the weeds are way out there. Went out pretty far to where it was less weedy. Caught an 18" RB on a Brown trout Thomas Buoyant. Had the bobber out with Callabaeitis and P-tail . Hooked 2 on that with one breaking me off in the weeds.Both 18-19"RB. Was throwing streamers after as while. Got 2 on a spruce fly and missed several other hits on it. Caught 1 on a black woolie and 1 on a Platte rIver Special. They were not consistent as you can see. But, they were all good fighters and lots of fun. Not many people out on the lake. had the whole area to my self at times.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great report, I still can't figure out why the hogs didn't show up this summer, I caught a lot of 22+ fish at ice out and very few floating nymphs after. Seems like they got a taste for something else, usually those big fish chow down on those calibetis but not lately.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Arkfisher,

I've got to get some of those Gold Ice nymphs. I also want to catch two fish at once - that's never happened to me before.

Love hearing what you wrote about Spinney - not the unpredictable part but the alone part! I need to get out there in my canoe and chill for awhile now that Labor Day is over - maybe the crowds will continue to be low.

How was the water level at Spinney? I've heard reports that it was being drawn down and the South Platte is flowing bank-to-bank through Lake George.

_Colorado

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the lake is down from last time i was there but not real low. the boat ramp is still very usable. i was not on the river below or above spinny so can't comment on that. i did see the flow around hartsel and it was barely moving up there. i was surprised at how few people were out on the lake considering it was labor day weekend. could gas prices be keeping people home?? there were not many people on the askansas either. had most sections to myself all day. that's the way i like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts