Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never fished this famous hatch and have a good assortment of dries, but am worried that my sub-surface selection of flies is not adequate. Could I have a recommendation on what nymphs, etc. it would be wise to take to the Arkansas later this month? What flies are on your 'go to' list? Many thanks for any advise offered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Make sure you have a plethera of:

RS II's- olive, black
Caddis Emergers - olive and brown
Stimulators
Parachute BWO's
PT's- natural, olive
Copper John's- Red, Olive, Chartruese
Dorsey's Mercury Baetis
Egg Patterns- pink, green
Twenty Incher Stone

I could list many more patterns but I'm sure these flies will do the trick. Good luck on the Ark, you should have a great time.

Tight Line's and Good Drifts,

The Rocnesmonsta :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Absolutely caddis bh pupae patterns in 16-18. I have the best luck on a dark olive and lime green. Fish a dry dropper with about 12-18 inches between flies. I also like to fish a bh prince 14-16, pheasant tail in 16, and don't overlook bwo emerger patterns.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I did will on a BH sparkle pupa last year, also used a 3 fly set up royal parashute, red copper john and an emerger pattern I came up with, I know that telling you to use a emerger pattern you dont have wont help, but you can use some type of emerger you do have good luck

·
Registered
184 Posts
Go to :

gorgeanglers.com/arkansas_river_report.php

Up to date reports, fly recommendations, flows, everything is there for the Arkansas river and the caddis hatch.

It is just starting up from Canon City now and will move up as the water temps get to the mid 50's and up. It will end, fishing wise, when runoff starts, probably around the first or second week of May.

The Brachycentrus caddis has a dark body. Around a 14-16 for pupa and 16-18 for the dry. Peacock body flies are pretty much right as rain for adults, elk hair caddis, Puterbaugh black or gray foam body caddis, etc.

Try to go during the weekdays, as weekend are totally nuts. The spots fill up quickly, so plan ahead and get some maps of the river.

If you catch it right, you'll be spitting em out of your mouth and they'll be crawling down your shirt! And you might even catch a trout or 75!

Have a big time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts