Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hit the ark at wellsville at 9:30 in the morning and though a bit nippy, the sun was out . the first hour i didn't even get a hit. kept trying the standards (p-tail, barr emerger) but nothing , then about 10:45 after it warmed a bit got my first fish on a barr emerger. it got better and better as the day warmed. final count was 28 fish. biggest was a surprise. got a 19",2-1/2 lb cut-bow. only the second cut-bow i ever caught in the ark. best fly of the day was a black ice nymph in a size 20.the rest were caught on copper johns,and barr emergers. saw some awesome rises. most of the fish that rose were launching themselves 2 ft out of the water. no small takes. don't know what they were smashing. tried caddis and stimulators but no hits. went back to the nymphs.
worked up to above salida and finished up in the big bend area. great weather and a good day. this storm may throw things off this coming week.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I love watching them jump clean out of the water to take flies.. 28 fish is a good day on the Ark and a 19"+ anything is a a good fish for the Ark too.. Good job.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice report thats a big bow for the ark, but they do run bigger out of there. Probably going for red quills on top.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts