Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in a trip to the Arkansas before the storm. We started at Parkdale and only picked up one in a half hour - a portend of things to come. I like to fish Parkdale on myeasy fishing days because it gives me a chance to string up, stretch after a 1 1/2 hour drive, and get into the rhythm on the river.

After Parkdale we tried the lower stretch of Spikebuck and picked up maybe 6 browns in a 2 hours stretch. S-L-O-W!

Then we hit the mile below Texas Creek. This section doesn't get fished too hard because it's a long way between parking spots but it's one of the most interesting pieces of water on the lower Arkansas. Deep slow moving water with interesting braided currents. It was here that we picked up the most trout - maybe a good dozen in a 3 hour session.

What were they hitting? Well it was too windy for dries - imagine that! And they would take an RS-2, once, then a flashback pheasant tail once, a copper john once, then a black beauty, once...you get the picture. A few olives were coming off but I never caught a single fish on an olive Barr emerger or WD-40. Finally my son was able to take 5 fish within about 15 minutes on a size 20 gun metal midge pattern and, wouldn't you know that I only had about 4 in my box! When they were gone so was the action. If you've never fished a gun metal midge before they are made of that pearlescent flash wound over different color thread to produce a blue, green or even pinkish body. I finish mine with a single turn of peacock herl and a peacock bead. The problem is that they get chewed up real easily and the flash unwinds. They're fun to tie because you almost never know what color they're going to become and they're easy. Gotta go tie another coupla dozen before the next time.

Lastly we fished Lone Pine. I had never fished there before but there is some interesting water. We walked downstream , found some structure and I pulled 3 out in about 5 minutes all on a red zebra midge, size 20.

I did speak with another man that fished the river on Friday and he reported a big difference between the tow days: he killed them on Friday an dcouldn't dredge one up on Saturday. That's fishing on the Arkansas!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Is that stretch above Parkdale to Texas Creek flies and lures only or do they allow bait fishing Neanderthals there too? Also' whats the avg. size of fish your catching and were they all browns or were you getting some rainbows? Ed

T

·
0 Posts
sounds like a decent day - i would have taken it instead of having been sick for the past week doing nothing. how about a picture of the gunmetal midge? i might head to the ark in a week or so for my first try on that river.
thanks

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to take a photo of the gun metal midge tonight -

Ed, the section below Texas Creek is wide open to all types of angling. The person I spoke with was carrying spinning tackle and said that he had a great day on Friday. My experience with spinning tackle on the Arkansas many years ago was with small Panther Martins (1/32 ounce) made with a quartering cast downstream and retrieved slowly along the bank - - streamer style. The brown trout averaged 12-14", nothing special, but very healthy and plump.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Colorado-Funny you said Panther Martins-I used to fish the Arkansas alot back before I started chasing bass. That was the lure I would tie on and they loved it-I'd throw it up against the far bank-got alot of hits right next to the opposite bank. I'm pretty sure they were there to get out of the current and for any terrestials. I'd also get a lot of hits as it was swinging downstream at the end of the arc-right before it started back against the current. I'll have to do that again. Ed ;D

·
Banned
487 Posts
Ed,

Neanderthals? Lol that's funny. Guess I'm one of them. At least I release my fish.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
IITVeins-I really don't go after trout much anymore and almost all of that is on lakes in the winter that remain open. I fish sus. jerks almost exclusively for them now but I might get back into the stream thing a little bit this fall/winter. I'm not a fly guy an honestly, at 55 its probably a new trick I'll never learn. But I sling a mean Panther Martin!!! Trick is to let the current do its work while staying in contact with the bait. Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts