Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I live in NJ but will be in the Howard area of the Arkansas River with my kids and grandchildren this August. I looked for a forum in Co. and signed up so that I might get some local insight, if possible. I've fished the Blue in and out of Lake Dillon, the stream behind Keystone and Turquoise, from shore, by Leadville with one of my sons a few years back, they lived close to Lake Dillon. I'm a bass fisherman who would fish for trout once the water got below 50 but now tie my own hair jigs and catch bass until the lakes freeze over. I can fly fish if necessary. I skyped with my five year old grandson in Denver today and he is really looking forward to going fishing. I have waders and wonder how the river bottom is? Do I need my corkers? Would it be reasonable for a five year old to catch something in the River with grandpa's help or are there some local places where he could catch sunnies or panfish? We are strictly catch and release and here is a C/R BT that I'm proud of, caught on one of my hair jigs a few Novembers back in Ct. Twin Lakes nov..jpg
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i am not a river fisherman, but the ark is running real fast right now and there have been several deaths this summer. i would go up to o haver lake up past poncha springs with a child

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Awesome brownie...the ark is off my beaten path...

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Arkansas fishes well from Leadville all the way down to Pueblo. The river won't be high at all come August, so long as we don't get tons of rain. It's pretty easy to fish as long as you know how to read the water. So yes, you could definitely take your grand kids there.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
If your five year old grandson can cast a spinning rod...grab a handful of gold spinners and you should be able to catch a lot of 12 inch browns.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Aug. 15 the "augmentation" water for the rafters will be shut down, so the flows are normally around 400 cfs and very easy to wade. 5 is a little young to be in a river, but if you are willing to be right there and hang onto him, it should be OK. There will be lots of places where you can get into the edges of the water.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hayden Meadows is the place for you to be. A 6 mile stretch with good access and a family friendly stocked pond at the upper end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I find your replies very helpful, thanks and look forward to any other recommendations.
As far as my grandson goes, I wasn't thinking about him wading but rather try to find places that have small pools or eddy close to shore that we can fish.
O Haver and Hayden Meadows sound like a must.
Would it be advisable to remove the treble from spinners and spoons and replace with a single hook for C/R?

Thought I'd throw in a (below zero) Jan. steelhead (C/R) in NY. (Salmon River)

1 9 13 Salmon R W the captain 2a.jpg

My biggest one there was caught a week before Thanksgiving, second time steelhead fishing, wadding by myself and no net. It was 19.5 lbs on a nymph, spinning outfit and 4lb.floro, needless to say, I got quite a workout.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, if you're going to practice C&R you should never use treble hooks. Three hooks= three times the damage. Also, if you're going to release fish you shouldn't be holding them up by the gills like in your first picture, or touching the gills at all. Just a bit of advice.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Would it be advisable to remove the treble from spinners and spoons and replace with a single hook for C/R?

Yes, or you can just bend in two of the hooks on a treble. This is easier in my opinion and saves time. By bending them in the hook is still balanced and follows properly verses cutting them off, it also snags less than a regular treble.

All the water in the area will be very accessible to your family.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Yes, if you're going to practice C&R you should never use treble hooks. Three hooks= three times the damage. Also, if you're going to release fish you shouldn't be holding them up by the gills like in your first picture, or touching the gills at all. Just a bit of advice.
Pay no attention to snarky comments like this. Unfortunately, there are always plenty of the "know it all" crowd that are quick with criticism for no reason at all other to make themselves look/sound/feel more important. Nice fish btw and welcome to the madness!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Pay no attention to snarky comments like this. Unfortunately, there are always plenty of the "know it all" crowd that are quick with criticism for no reason at all other to make themselves look/sound/feel more important. Nice fish btw and welcome to the madness!
Although fish can be safely released with trebles if you know what your doing,
I think Cotters comment is right on the money and not really criticizing at all.
Holding fish by the gills is not good for catch and release. On larger trout, sometimes you can get the right grab on the gill plate without mauling the gills, but there again you have to know what your doing.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Although fish can be safely released with trebles if you know what your doing,
I think Cotters comment is right on the money and not really criticizing at all.
Holding fish by the gills is not good for catch and release. On larger trout, sometimes you can get the right grab on the gill plate without mauling the gills, but there again you have to know what your doing.
I completely agree... but the man looks as though he has handled a few fish in his day, as shown with the 2 beautiful fish he has posted. Neither of which were being mishandled imho.
To suggest that they were was an unwarranted criticism.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is this a joke? You actually think I said that to sound important? I hope most people on this forum aren't like this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wet my hands first if I handle them, even when it's cold and use a rubber net in the boat. I will use a trout net while on vacation.

Picture 277.jpg

1 12 13 skinny laker.JPG

Just kidding with the pics and no offense taken on any of the comments. I'm a member of NYBASS and over the last three years I have almost 1500 posts and certain posts are done by some who jest and LOL is used quite often. One needs to keep things in perspective and especially with me being an unknown quantity, just looking for info without contributing but I will try to post some kind of feeble report if I can catch something, I promise. I'm retired a little over six years and my better half and I fish as many days as we can until the lakes and rivers freeze over and believe it or not, only 30 miles from NYC and we have more than 50 lakes, rivers and streams within a 45 minute drive and try to hit them all a few times a year.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wet my hands first if I handle them, even when it's cold and use a rubber net in the boat. I will use a trout net while on vacation.

View attachment 10418

View attachment 10426

Just kidding with the pics and no offense taken on any of the comments. I'm a member of NYBASS and over the last three years I have almost 1500 posts and certain posts are done by some who jest and LOL is used quite often. One needs to keep things in perspective and especially with me being an unknown quantity, just looking for info without contributing but I will try to post some kind of feeble report if I can catch something, I promise. I'm retired a little over six years and my better half and I fish as many days as we can until the lakes and rivers freeze over and believe it or not, only 30 miles from NYC and we have more than 50 lakes, rivers and streams within a 45 minute drive and try to hit them all a few times a year.
As for my previous comment, it was not intended to be harsh in any manner. And I wasn't trying to "sound important".......whatever that's supposed to mean. Just commenting on what appeared to be some questionable C&R practices. But, it sounds like you know what you're doing. Good luck to you.

By the way, I'm originally from NJ as well. You may find it hard going back to NJ after a trip to CO.:smile:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back in N.J.

Wanted to thank those who gave me input on the where and hows of the Upper and Middle Ark, we got five day licenses from 8/4 - 8/8 but the middle Ark was high and muddy from the rains. Conditions were much better up by Leadville and we checked out O'Haver and a couple of small streams near by. It was a shame to see all of the dead trout along the shoreline of O'Haver and after watching the handling of some trout I saw caught, it's obvious that it's from handling. It's really a shame that people who fish there can't be made aware of how to handle trout. Since we were in Howard, we fished the eddies in Salida where there were lots of small brown and the rainbows were bigger with a few 14's and a 16", just very busy with people and dogs. With the high water I made some 1/16 black and white marabou jigs that worked very well in the eddies but nymphs and small black streamers did well too.

Thanks again for the input and Colorado is beautiful.

A few pics I took.
8 2014 Krista with trout in Salida.jpg

8 2014 Heyden Meadows flower aa.jpg

8 2014 O'Haver.jpg

8 2014 above Twin Lakes c.jpg

8 2014 double rainbow a.jpg

8 2014 a mountain storm.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts