Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the section of the Arkansas River below Pueblo Res. on Saturday 1/28. The fishing was GREAT! I started the day fishing below the Valco Ponds area at around 9:30 am. I began using a #20 bead head pheasent tail as my top fly and a #16 young blood on the bottom. I landed seven 12-14 inch stocker rainbows. Six of those seven took the #16 young blood. The other one hit the BHPT. At about 11:30 am I moved even further down river. Using the same ammo, I hooked into a really nice rainbow. It took me about 7-8 minutes (using 6X tippet) to land this guy. After it was all said and done, this fish measured in at 22 inches. I caught two more stockers in that hole and decided to visit another one of my favorite spots.

Started fishing again at about 1:15 pm in the "River Bottom" area of the Arkansas. I switched my bottom fly to a #18 cooper john. Instantly, I started catching fish. They seemed to like the cooper john better than the BHPT. After a while, the fish decided that they liked the BHPT better and began to hit this fly exclusively. By 3:30 pm, I had landed 16 10-12 inch stocker rainbows.

I decided to move upstream and try another hole. Switched my bottom fly back to the #16 young blood. The fishing slowed down quite a bit. Caught four more stockers and was getting ready to call it a day. I decided to fish for just 15 more minutes. I'm glad I stayed. I landed my only brown of the day. This guy measured in at 20 inches. It was a beautiful fish. I decided to drive back home after that. All in all, a excellent day of fishing in the "BLO". O0

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Nice report and welcome!

I'm planning on heading down there this Saturday. I'll get a run in early along the river then put on the waders and do some mid-winter casting.

Sounds like you had a great day. Keep up the good posts. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice report! Did the wind give you hassles Sat? I thought I saw some little people packing for Oz over by the highway.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What size and color copper john did you use? With the bows getting ready to spawn a sized 16 red copper john really did a number on them last year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was using a #18 cooper colored cooper john. I've used red ones in the past with good luck as well. Last year I fished this section of the Arkansas around the first of March and had great success on a #16 red san juan worm and a #16 pink egg pattern. O0

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Whats a young blood look like?
I had a couple hours to fish today and went down to the Ark below Pueblo and got skunked =(. I threw everything in my box at them and nothing, I broke my polarized glasses so couldnt sight fish like I normally do... but was fishing very nice looking runs that I know had to be holding fish. There was a small hatch going on around 2pm when I was leaving but I couldnt match it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Epic -
What do you mean you got skunked below the dam???
The area directly below the dam, for about the first two miles, gets hammered pretty good every day, so the fish there are more educated. If you go further down, though, you start getting into better fish that are more willing to eat.

I'm heading down there at 10 this morning to give it a try and I'll post up on what I find.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
From Valco ponds about 1/4 mile back towards the dam next to that little watershed and up from there some ways.... Not very many people were catching anything, as I was leaving one guy had been throwing all kinds of midges and finally he landed one on a small midge.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
kconkli, the image address goes in between the two img and /img tags and not after them. Separate the two ][ brackets and stick the address in between them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! I just got it to work. The picture is an example of a young blood. I use a #16 migde hook.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oooo - looks like a bloodworm!

·
0 Posts
Conklin,

You're giving those jokers up North too much info.... lol.
Whats up dude??

Jay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's up Jay-bird! Done any fishing lately? I'll be in the "Blo" either the first or second week of March. Let's get together and do a little fishin'. Get ahold of Madril and lets all go. Maybe drink a few beer as well. See ya

KC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts