Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the section of the Arkansas River below Pueblo Res. on Saturday 1/28. The fishing was GREAT! I started the day fishing below the Valco Ponds area at around 9:30 am. I began using a #20 bead head pheasent tail as my top fly and a #16 young blood on the bottom. I landed seven 12-14 inch stocker rainbows. Six of those seven took the #16 young blood. The other one hit the BHPT. At about 11:30 am I moved even further down river. Using the same ammo, I hooked into a really nice rainbow. It took me about 7-8 minutes (using 6X tippet) to land this guy. After it was all said and done, this fish measured in at 22 inches. I caught two more stockers in that hole and decided to visit another one of my favorite spots.

Started fishing again at about 1:15 pm in the "River Bottom" area of the Arkansas. I switched my bottom fly to a #18 cooper john. Instantly, I started catching fish. They seemed to like the cooper john better than the BHPT. After a while, the fish decided that they liked the BHPT better and began to hit this fly exclusively. By 3:30 pm, I had landed 16 10-12 inch stocker rainbows.

I decided to move upstream and try another hole. Switched my bottom fly back to the #16 young blood. The fishing slowed down quite a bit. Caught four more stockers and was getting ready to call it a day. I decided to fish for just 15 more minutes. I'm glad I stayed. I landed my only brown of the day. This guy measured in at 20 inches. It was a beautiful fish. I decided to drive back home after that. All in all, a excellent day of fishing in the "BLO". O0

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was using a #18 cooper colored cooper john. I've used red ones in the past with good luck as well. Last year I fished this section of the Arkansas around the first of March and had great success on a #16 red san juan worm and a #16 pink egg pattern. O0

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's up Jay-bird! Done any fishing lately? I'll be in the "Blo" either the first or second week of March. Let's get together and do a little fishin'. Get ahold of Madril and lets all go. Maybe drink a few beer as well. See ya

KC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.