Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been to the Ark up from Canyon City lately?

The shop says its fishing well since the weather has warmed up, but hoping someone can confirm. Thx

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If the shop you are talking about is Royal Gorge Anglers.... The river above canyon City is ALWAYS fishing good according to that shop..

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
They also only recommend flies they sell. Flies they invented and named.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
They also only recommend flies they sell. Flies they invented and named.
Well, I guess i got something in common with them on that river. I always do best on flys I created too! :)

Generally caddis, mayflies, stoneflies, terrestrials, streamers......... During the right conditions/seasons....

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Yes, but you aren't trying to sell them to me. I watch their fishing report and all they recommend is what they sell. Just give me the fishing report without the sales pitch.

ArkAnglers doesn't do it. They give the report and tell us what's hatching. Most fly fisherman know what flies to use.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha... That's why I was trying to get a stream report from someone not affiliated with the shop... I don't think I've ever called a fly shop around here and been told fishing is bad. I totally agree it's a tactic to get you into the shop.

I personally favor 11 mile canyon, but fun to get on the Ark once in awhile too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes, but you aren't trying to sell them to me. I watch their fishing report and all they recommend is what they sell. Just give me the fishing report without the sales pitch.

ArkAnglers doesn't do it. They give the report and tell us what's hatching. Most fly fisherman know what flies to use.
Umm....you use their free information on their site that they pay money to maintain, and all they do is suggest flies (not make you buy in any way) and you have an issue with that?

Arkanglers also does a tremendous job with their FREE information. Maybe instead of being resentful when retailers try to keep the lights on by trying to maybe get you to buy a couple things to help pay their bills as a small business, maybe, just maybe be thankful they are telling you the free information

Here is their report: Where exactly is this terrible salesmanship?? I see some pretty insightful and valuable information.

A continuation of this phenomenal Spring weather has things firing in Canon City and Bighorn Sheep Canyon! We have witnessed quite a few fish moving into faster water, which makes us think the Stonefly Molt is really happening in a major way. We've got forecasted highs in the upper 60's and low 70's for the foreseeable future, long term forecasts show this weather holding through the first of March! Additionally, our guides have been covering the entirety of Bighorn Sheep Canyon, and there is zero shelf ice...anywhere! Long story short, the great nymphing we see in late February/ Early March due to the Stonefly Molt has come early...so get here to experience this early Spring fishing on the Ark!

We are now moving into the early portion of the Stonefly Molt time period. Warmer weather in February triggers a large portion of the Arkansas River's Stonefly population to begin what is termed a "New Star Phase" of their lifecycle. This phase features the stonefly changing the composition and color of it's exoskeleton, and the entire Stonefly population becomes much more active throughout the water column. This activity also triggers heavy feeding within the trout population, and what we term a "coming out of winter" party.

The Midge Lifecycle will also be a focal point in February on the Freestone River. There are also a ton of Caddis Larva in the substrate, so expect fish to key on them heavily. Our guides will cover on a variety of methods, but will focus on Triple Nymph rigs, and Euro Nymphing, based on water temperature and other variables for best success.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umm....you use their free information on their site that they pay money to maintain, and all they do is suggest flies (not make you buy in any way) and you have an issue with that?

Arkanglers also does a tremendous job with their FREE information. Maybe instead of being resentful when retailers try to keep the lights on by trying to maybe get you to buy a couple things to help pay their bills as a small business, maybe, just maybe be thankful they are telling you the free information

Here is their report: Where exactly is this terrible salesmanship?? I see some pretty insightful and valuable information.

A continuation of this phenomenal Spring weather has things firing in Canon City and Bighorn Sheep Canyon! We have witnessed quite a few fish moving into faster water, which makes us think the Stonefly Molt is really happening in a major way. We've got forecasted highs in the upper 60's and low 70's for the foreseeable future, long term forecasts show this weather holding through the first of March! Additionally, our guides have been covering the entirety of Bighorn Sheep Canyon, and there is zero shelf ice...anywhere! Long story short, the great nymphing we see in late February/ Early March due to the Stonefly Molt has come early...so get here to experience this early Spring fishing on the Ark!

We are now moving into the early portion of the Stonefly Molt time period. Warmer weather in February triggers a large portion of the Arkansas River's Stonefly population to begin what is termed a "New Star Phase" of their lifecycle. This phase features the stonefly changing the composition and color of it's exoskeleton, and the entire Stonefly population becomes much more active throughout the water column. This activity also triggers heavy feeding within the trout population, and what we term a "coming out of winter" party.

The Midge Lifecycle will also be a focal point in February on the Freestone River. There are also a ton of Caddis Larva in the substrate, so expect fish to key on them heavily. Our guides will cover on a variety of methods, but will focus on Triple Nymph rigs, and Euro Nymphing, based on water temperature and other variables for best success.
I've read their online report as well as talked to the shop, but thanks for pasting it here.

I have no problems with keeping the lights on and I buy flies from them almost every time I fish the Ark -- same as with the other shops near the rivers I fish. My point is it's good to hear fishing conditions from other anglers as the shop will almost always tell you the fishing is hot.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts

Don't preach to me. I've spent thousands of dollars at ArkAnglers. I don't use Royal Gorge for anything. I was just making a statement on their fishing reports. I was also talking about their video report. Not the written one.

btw I have no interest in the RG report anyway. They give a report on the lower river. I fish the Ark from BV and north. I don't go south at all.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I usually checked Ark Anglers, The Drift and RG when I fish the Ark. Have been into RG and even bought a couple of flies, once. The Drift concentrates mostly on the tailwater. And when it is not fishing good they say so and recommend other places to wet a line. Even if it is unlikely to take you past the shop... I like that. It shows integrity and honesty. So I stop in when i am in the area. Ark Anglers also posts a good report without having to wade thru a commercial to get the information you want. Since they do not waste my time i also will shop at Ark.. I guess i just prefer and reward honesty.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I usually checked Ark Anglers, The Drift and RG when I fish the Ark. Have been into RG and even bought a couple of flies, once. The Drift concentrates mostly on the tailwater. And when it is not fishing good they say so and recommend other places to wet a line. Even if it is unlikely to take you past the shop... I like that. It shows integrity and honesty. So I stop in when i am in the area. Ark Anglers also posts a good report without having to wade thru a commercial to get the information you want. Since they do not waste my time i also will shop at Ark.. I guess i just prefer and reward honesty.
The Drift actually used to be an ArkAnglers shop, they are both good shops and will give you good info...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts