Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
The big caddis hatch will not happen until the end of April or so I have been told by the guys at Arkanglers. I have heard that people catching fish on nymphs.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I was in Salida on Friday and didnt notice any hatch ontop the water but there were some midge type insects floating below the surface like they were thinking about it. Its funny how I notice stuff like that since I started fly fishing, even though I wasnt fly fishing that day and before I would of bever even of paid attention to that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Kyle- Caddis will start hatching in April on the lower sections of the river around Canon City. If the weather stays fairly warm, you can expect the flies to start popping their way up the canyon progressively each day. Right now, the BWO hatches are going and you can start seeing fish rise to them on the lower river near Parkdale. Nymph patterns are still most reliable, with 16-20 pheasant tails, barred emergers, or 12-14 princes being hot.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The newsletter at this site is the most complete and comprehensive info there is on this planet about the Arkansas and caddis. You can subscribe to it, also and get weekly reports.

http://www.royalgorgeanglers.com

If you're in Denver or Boulder, check out the info on where Bill and Larry will be doing seminars on Friday, March 24 and Saturday, March 25.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the advice. I headed down last Sunday and had some luck. The BWO's came off for about 30 minutes. You just can't beat catching fish on a dry after a long winter of nymphing. Seams like everything is in the water. Caught fish on stones, caddis pupa and BWO's.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Kyle - you had to be freezing your butt off last Sunday down there! How far up the canyon did you go?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I fished the ark the 25th, did well with an egg dropping a green copper john, didn't catch anything of size, but none the less- good to be out. A pretty substantial bwo hatch came off around 4 oclock, didn't see one fish rise to the occasion. My, folks, along with the rest of my family live in that area and I have been fishing it for a long time, the fishing is definitely getting better over the years, but I can not beleive how popular a place it has become. Weekend fishing on the ark without a boat, has become undesirable, IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts