Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has fished the Arkansas near Salida/Buena Vista recently? I am going up there this weekend and was hoping for a brief report. Has the caddis hatch made it up the river that far yet? Any recommendations on flies? I've heard copper john's, pheasant tails, prince, the usual. Thanks to anyone that can help.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hiya Goose -- Spent Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning on the Ark in the Salida vicinity. Except for fierce winds on Tuesday, the weather was gorgeous. That's both the good news and the bad. Much better would have been low clouds with drizzle, which would produce a BWO hatch and, typically, lots of surface action. The caddis hatch won't happen on the Salida section until late into this month or early May, depending. Anyway, it was great to get on the water, but ... blame it on the sun, blame it on the full moon, blame it on the guy futilely waving his stick at the river, fish were few and far between. I've done far better on previous April trips, and it appears the Arkansas is fishing better than ever. Except for me. Still, it beat the hell out of going to work. Best luck.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Goose - there are some caddis beginning to pop on the lower part of the canyon near Parkdale. This is the best time of year, in my opinion, to fish caddis emergers. Fewer bugs on the water, but enough activity to spark a lot of interest from the trout.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made it up to the Arkansas yesterday (Monday 4-17). Started off great with a fish on the first cast of the day while my brother was still setting up ( I always like beating him to the punch). Ended up catching about 15 fish between the two of us throughout the day. The wind did blow all day and at times we went back up to the truck. If the wind wasn't blowing it would have been a perfect day. Had success with a two fly rig, using some combination of flashback pheasant tails, copper johns, prince, and emerger. We basically started at Parkdale and worked our way all the way up to Salida. With the wind, didn't see any caddis yet, but we were also working our way upriver. Need to get up there again before the crowds really set in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts