Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a body of water near pueblo with large numbers of carp that would be good whenever i have an hour or two free. I dont mean Pueblo Res. either.

Calvin

·
Registered
248 Posts
i dont know of any places near pueblo but man at the end of may beggining of june alot of them swim on the surface at eleven mile and spinny if u have access to a boat thats where i would go ..... i have thought of getting a bow just for those times i remember i saw around 50 carp on the surface at spinny woulda been alot of fun with a bow or a fly rod at that

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Not really close but out by Ordway is Henry and Meredith Lakes both have tons of carp, also if the Ark isnt muddy out there you can spot carp pretty easy in the river which isnt very wide there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kind of an old thread but you can hit Lake Beckwith in Colorado City for carp. We used to go after them with bows as a kit. The north west corner of the lake is the best spot to catch them in the shallows.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you guys eat the carp you catch? When I was real young in arkansas, my grandad would take them home and smoke them in hickory smoke. I seem to remember it tasted really good. But he always said something about getting some vein out before he did it. I was too young then to remember how he did it, just remembered it wasn't bad at all.

·
Registered
288 Posts
that "vein" grandpa was talking about was a line of dark, off flavored flesh on the fillet which runs along the fish's lateral line. Sometimes this is called a "mud vein" and tastes really bad. Probably this is why people don't like to eat carp so much. Anyway, to get rid of this, first skin the fish and then cut away that dark line. The fish is good eating after that. Either smoke, or you can can it too. I have had canned carp that you could not tell the difference between it and canned salmon. MMMMM good.

carp also make great fertilizer. I buried some of the carp I arrowed a couple years ago beneath some of my CO blue spruces and the next year they grew like weeds!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts