Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why so skinny? It seems like there are a lot of super skinny, almost malnourished fish out there theses days. Mismanagement? :confused: Any insight?:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
When they first reopened it and they limited the number of anglers it was still good. Lets call that the before free for all stage... Since the free for all the fishing has been on a steady decline. That being said you can still get into some decent fish out of Ladora, and if you happen to catch a green one chances are it's a toad.

I've seen a lot of big fish pictured this year and in years past on the road.... How many of those fish make it. Catch a fish, risk killing it walking up the rip rap, take the time to take a picture on the emmmmeffin road, then walk back down the rip rap, and release the fish. If you don't drop the fish walking up or down the rip rap chances are you've had it out of the water too long by the time you release it.

I still fish it, and if it stays the same I'll always ***** about it:)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Never been to the arsenal, but mostly see skinny pike out of there. Pike don't do well unless they can seek cooler water in the summer, and I'm guessing they don't have access to deeper cooler water at the Arsenal so they wither away. But the key is forage and by the looks of that fish, doesn't look like it is eating much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't fished there for a long time, only after they reopened it after it had been closed for a couple of years. To be able to fish it then, you had to attend a seminar to be drilled on the rules and regulations. The biologist said Ladora basically only had pike and bass big enough to survive the pike. The only forage base was crawfish. The pike had wiped everything else out. So I fished crawfish imitations and did well. I don't know if they have put any forage in there since then.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
The way I understand it, the bluegill population there crashed hard. But I really don't know much about the Arsenal, I never had the desire to fish it. Always seemed like a lame way to catch sweet fish.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The way I understand it, the bluegill population there crashed hard. But I really don't know much about the Arsenal, I never had the desire to fish it. Always seemed like a lame way to catch sweet fish.
Ever since things got out of balance at Ladora they've tried stocking bluegill a number of times. Too many teeth out there... They last for a few months and then boom no signs of them anywhere. Ideally they'd cut the pike population down in half and make a real effort to get a self sustaining forage base established. They've tried gills a number of times with zero success... Why not try to get a perch population established? Seems like perch once established in a body of water reproduce fast enough to keep up the predator/prey balace. They don't really give two shits about the fish out there.... Hell I'd rather have them stock stocker trout once a year in Ladora than the failed bluegill attempts. At least that way some of those big green fish in Ladora would get even bigger! Pike are fun out there, but they aren't the real prize.

I still see some appeal to the RMA..... Especially since I work 5 minutes away. That being said back in the day it was beyond special! It was a privelege to fish out there and everyone knew it. There was no trash left behind and when you did see another angler(rare) they always kept a distance. Not too many people had even heard of the RMA 20 years ago and of those people that had heard of it most didn't believe the hype. Back then it wasn't unheard of for someone to catch a 20lb pike and a 6lb+ bass in the same day. We'd usually hit Ladora for a few hours back then and do pretty well on both bass and pike. We always caught more pike than bass but we caught a lot more bass back then. After that we'd take out the fly rods and catch big bluegill and ok crappie at lake Mary. If I had a choice between fishing Lake Carol Anne or the RMA back in the day, it would be the RMA hands down.

I've caught a few decent pike out of Ladora this year, but there are much better options for catching big pike along the front range...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts