Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in the Aspen area June 8-12 for a HS Girls Basketball "Aspen Shootout". We are bringing a 35 ft. RV that I am looking to park on a river to do some fishing. Only choices appear to be Aspen/Basalt Campground and Difficult Campground.

Anyone familiar with both, I would appreciate advice on which one I should park the RV at to do some fishing.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The difficult campground is more of a national forest campground set in the trees south of Aspen on your way up Independence pass. Fishing is fun, but small water and small fish. For scenery this one wins.

Aspen/basalt campground is more of an rv park 20 minutes north of Aspen, right off of the highway. There is a big stretch of public water on the Fork above and below this campground. Scenery is not near as good, but fishing is far better, lots of browns and bows from 14"-18" with some 20"+ mixed in. Run-off could be rocking by then, so you may need a tailwater as a plan B. The confluence with the Pan is only 5 minutes away.

If your basing it solely on fishing, the Basalt campground would be my choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm definitely leaning toward Difficult CG, simply because it is close to Aspen and where I will need to be most of the time. It would be close for the kids to come out and BBQ and such after playing.

Big question - I have researched Difficult CG and know there is only a couple sites for 35' RV. In your opinion, at that time of year, June 8-12, do you think I need to reserve a spot.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Missouri Mark said:
In your opinion, at that time of year, June 8-12, do you think I need to reserve a spot.
Definitely, it is a pretty busy campground through the entire summer and fall

·
Registered
394 Posts
My favorite, but it is a ways from Aspen, is Redstone CG. Right on the river. Redstone is a cool town, and some history over at Marble.

JW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts