Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, asking another fishing area question. Anyone know of good places to fish in the Aspen area? and I mean by this is no more then an hour away from the area cause I'm not the one driving so I can't decide where we go lol. Any suggestions? Not a fly fisherman either so its gotta be ok with tackle. Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Aspen has a ton of great fishing near by, the Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, Crystal and Colorado rivers plus a lot of small streams that hold brookies and cutts. Although a lot of streams are on private property. There's also a few high mountain lakes and reservoirs in the area. If you go through Independece pass you'll see all of the accessable streams.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awsome, ty guys for your help. I bet we'll find something up there, its not like the mountains are empty of rivers and lakes :) Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
derajamin,

You won't have to go far from Aspen to have great fishing, even with the spinning gear. I would highly reccomend sticking to the Roaring Fork. Stop in a local fly shop and get a map which will show all the public access. You will be able to fish it up near Aspen, but there are also lots of access points between Aspen and Glenwood Springs. You might want to fish it down closer to Carbondale and Glenwood Springs, just because the access will be better. Throw medium sized Panther Martins with dark bodies, silver blades with red marks on them. Use Yellow body if water is off color, but it should be nice and clear this time of year. You can also try some smaller Rapalas. Lots of different things will work. The Fryingpan River is close to Aspen as well, but it gets hammered every day so the fish are more difficult to catch. I have never used spinning gear on the pan, but it is fly & lure only. Most people fish the Pan within a couple miles of the Dam (it is a tailwater), but there is a mix of public, private access thoughout the 12 miles of river below the dam to it's confluence with the Roaring Fork. If you can figure out how to catch them on spinning gear, you have the potential to hook into some reall nice fish up to 12 pounds. The bigger fish are smart and finding them is one thing, but catching them is another. My advice would be to stick to the Roaring Fork. You will do fine as the Fork is a great river with plenty of fishable water. Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts