Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went fishing with my wife, a friend and a newbie to ice fishing at Aurora this afternoon for a couple of hours 2:30ish - 4:30ish to scout things out for a real trip this Tuesday. Skies were overcast which seemed to bring out the walleye. "We" caught 3 trout and 5 walleye including a keeper for the newbie. I said "we" because I got skunked and missed hits. This is my first skunk in three years and I am actually celebrating the event. Everyone else did really well with consistent action. Ice was about 5 inches. Fished minnows. Only fish kept was the legal walleye.

Newbie with his first fish through the ice

My wife being rude by catching a nice walleye (remember I got the skunk) - she caught a couple

Steve with his walleye

Newbie with his keeper walleye

Another walleye for Newbie

Sunset on the way in

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
The second report of eye catching at atown...nice job getting the newbie and your wife on eyes!...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks on the newbie but my wife Always outfishes me. Remember that today I broke a 3 year streak of not catching a skunk. Had a great time and I didn't even fish for the 1st of the two hours because I was rigging, taking pictures and having a great time. My friend Steve was questioning why we leave at 3am to go to Antero when I have this spot at Aurora. Of course the answer is that Aurora isn't always available to fish. Besides, a 10 minute drive isn't that much different than a 2hr 30min drive.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were in 30 - 40 feet of water although there was one person closer to shore from us in about 10 - 20 ft and he was also catching fish (I think trout). The minnows were on both jigs and plain hooks (it didn't matter). Again, I believe the overcast skies turned the walleye on for the short time we were there. When the sun came out strong below the clouds, the bite stopped. I had the newbie on the fish graph. The trout he caught came in and out a couple of times and then hit. All the walleye lit up the bottom of the graph and immediately hit with no hesitation. This was my scouting trip for my first serious trip out there on Tuesday. Hopefully, I will have something to report then also.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I don't know.. when you get out, with your wife, and she catches. Take a begainer out, and they catch.. I guess technically it's a skunk for you, but still had to be a great day ;D Awesome report and pictures!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was actually looking forward to a skunk. I haven't tried to keep it going and I've been to places assuming that I would break the streak that kept building until it got to 3 years. Taking two guys out to Aurora tomorrow morning and will start the streak again (hopefully). The short trip Saturday afternoon was a blast and I smiled the whole time especially when my wife hooked up first with a nice walleye.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Good stuff man congrats on the keeper. I've hit the hardwater there for ten years and have only iced 1 keeper out of the 25 plus i've pulled thru the ice there.

I took my girlfriend out to do some trout fishing in the marina last year. Her first trip and she landed a 19" eye. Even though she caught it I was so excited for her. Now she jokes with me that she doesn't wanna go, for fear of catching another.

Technically you didn't get skunked you just were a really good guide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts