Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed there are several differens lens options.

It looks like there is the 400 and then the 580 series. Within the more expensive 580 series it goes:

580P (plastic?)
580 Glass
580 Mirror Glass

...going up in price accordingly.

Just looking for feedback on these different 580 lens types from those who own them and have possibly compared the different types first hand. Is the glass really that much better than the plastic? Is the mirror glass just for looks or does it actually step up the lens quality?

You'd think their website would have some information on this ::)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I own two pairs of costas 580's. I'd go with glass. I've had mine going for a few years now and no scratches. Plus they have a warranty. They break , return em, pay a nominal fee and they'll fix.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I agree with glass... no scratches on my glasses and Im very rough on equipment. Costas are holding up.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
frankfurter3 said:
I own two pairs of costas 580's. I'd go with glass. I've had mine going for a few years now and no scratches. Plus they have a warranty. They break , return em, pay a nominal fee and they'll fix.
Had a lens shatter (my fault) and sent them back. Ended up costing $113 bones!!
Not worth the money. I like smiths.... Will be my next pair.
Costas are nice but $113 to replace a lens? Crazy IMO for glasses that retail for $250.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
580 glass is the best

you don't want blue mirror unless you bait fish and stiff arm ;D

the plastic are fine to save a few $$$

big thing - do you lose sunglasses or can you keep a pair for a long time. that seems to be the biggest factor in spending a lot of $$$

i like the Native line with interchangable lens so you can get a yellow for low light days and late evening - that makes a big difference. half the price of Costa.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Don't have an opinion on the costas. I have worn boon's once or twice...and yes, they are sunglasses :D

Armchair Angler said:
big thing - do you lose sunglasses or can you keep a pair for a long time. that seems to be the biggest factor in spending a lot of $$$
THIS ^^^^^^^^^

I agree with AA on the natives. I have owned 3 pair of them. That's the problem. I'm done spending big $ on sunglasses. I'm too active to have a pair that lasts. I fish a lot between the time when it's light and gets dark. So I have to take my sunglasses off on the boat or wherever I may be. They end up getting scratched or I end up losing them. It's annoying to babysit them all the time.

The sunglasses issue is another one of those things in life. I have worn many pairs of sunglasses and I can barely tell the difference between them all. It's like buying a $250 reel as opposed to a $150 one. Can you tell a huge difference? Does that 0.5-1oz really get you off better? Is the $250 pair of glasses going to be "more polarized"?

I see it as people just wanting to be cool because they have expensive glasses. A status symbol.

That's just the way I feel about it after some thought. If I was gonna drop more than 100 bones on sunglasses, I would get the most versatile sunglasses possible. The best I can think of are the natives because they come with many different lenses/colors for different situations. When I had them, I broke them twice and sent them back with their warranty. $30 later, I had new frames. To be honest, the most pain in the arse part is the lenses scratching. New lenses = $40.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had the same pair of Smiths for 6+ years (not worried about losing my shades, so price is no object). I love their lenses, but this current pair is real low profile on the sides and lets too much light into my peripheral.

I went and tried on all of Smith's latest models, but none of the ones with their high end lens combined with wide sides fit my face/head right :-\

Boondock's story of a $100 fee to replace a lens is the second account I've heard on this site which is really off putting to me for Costa. I had Smith send me brand new polarized lenses for free when they broke a while back (manufacturer defect, but still...).

Nice to hear some good reviews of the Natives. Those fit really well at the store, I just didn't know how quality their lenses were. They cost significantly less than Costas.

I'm a little apprehensive about glass lenses. An eye doctor once told me that they are hazardous to drive with because if you get in a wreck and your airbag deploys it can send shards into your eyes. Ouch.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
My wife works for an eye doc and gets a huge credit on glasses every year...so I get some sweet shades for free. Which is good cuz I don't buy high end glasses. My favorites are Maui Jims also. I have some Smiths that I like too...but usually wear the Jims.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Costa 580 glass in Green Mirror is my all around lens of choice for fresh water and inshore salt. It's amber-based for increased contrast and mirrored to cut a higher percentage of glare. Copper is a great choice too. Costa will warranty without question anything that is their fault, not caused by the user. CL

·
Registered
883 Posts
I wish I knew you were in the market, I had three different pairs of natives with me on the taylor and I was testing different lenses. I will also go with native. First off they are a sister company to costa, second they are super optics. I was a smith man until last summer, I was given a pair and I will not go back to smith. $30 flat rate on any warrinty issue and they will either fix or replace your old ones. They are also based in denver, and are some really nice people to work with. They are also making some sick pollarized goggles that I will hopfully be getting my hands on soon. Seriously the copper and brown lenses are awsome for moving water and the grey is the bomb for lakes or ocean. You should check them out. My favorites for fishing are the Gonzos and the Cables, but I have a big head.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I love the Natives! If you go with them get them from REI and pay the $20 lifetime membership and when or if your glasses break you can return them to any REI for a free exchange, instead of paying the $30 fee to send them back and waiting! Shannon

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I really like the natives and might be gettin a pair soon! ;)

that said, I have had good luck with my Habervision glasses that are also a colorado company...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oyey said:
I have had good luck with my Habervision glasses that are also a colorado company...
8) I just got a new pair of Habervisions and LOVE them! Price is fantastic, even my bi-focal prescriptions. Fit and function is even better. They have it all.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Cam...I don't know if you knew this but Costa's owns Native. SO I'm sure the lense technology is certainly comparable.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Oyey nailed it, HABERS. Colorado company !! They were at the show last weekend in SLC and I got to play with a bunch of them. Our pro staff guy was with Smith and dumped them on the spot for Haber. I should have a good discount code for them soon

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the answers and opinions. I ended up finding some Natives with the reflex lens for a great discount through REI.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts