Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any suggestions on places to ride atvs to and camp & fish? trying to get some ideas for weekend trips next summer.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
not sure what type of atv ridding your looking for, but down at de weese i see tons of atv ridders camped out at the lake tooling around also there are a few dirt road/trails heading up into the sangres that you can ride you atv in to a lake or stream and do some ishing camping

let me know if you want more specifics

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks RK, riding up into the Sangres is exactly the kind of trip I'd like to do,
any specifics would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like to fish high creeks and lakes for cutts. I have a smaller 4x4 that does well on the tight 4x4 roads in the mountains. Find a road that goes high and has a drainage that you can do a day hike to. I camp out of the back of my truck at the end of the road and do day hikes from there. Sometimes all you find is little brookies and sometime you find a really nice place to fish. I thought atv's had to stick to the roads also??

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They do, they can only run on forrest service roads and trails that are marked for motorized vehicles, but we enjoy the riding almost as much as the fishing. Almost!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
depending on how far you want to walk at the end of the ride

rainbow/balman you can dam near fish from your ride

hermit horeshoe 1/4 mile also stream fishing for browns and brookies on the way in with a few cuts

i think you can ride pretty close to the colony lakes also brookies on the way in, in south colony stream

the ride over to the dunes crosses a decent stream a couple time havent fished it but should hold fish

if you like a rough/technical ride instead of haulin a$$ and come in from the almosa side you can hit the como lake road drive right to 2 lakes and a short day hike to a 3rd at the end of the road, be warned this is a dificult trail impassable to most stock 4X4's considered one of if not the toughest jeep trail in CO but probably doable with a good 4X4 atv a locker would help

if your safe and somewhat sane and not a big boozer maybe we could meet up for a fishing trail ride i have several others options i havent tried yet that hold promise of fishing at the end of a jeep or rhino ride some might need to be over nighters or atleast if we wanted much fishing time

im ready with a jeep or the rhino and the more difficult the trail the better open invites to all

roadkill

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info RK, we'll have to get together and plan something when the snow melts. I'd like to try the Colony lakes,I hanen't been up there for about 25 years, but we had a blast up there when I was a kid.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i got good word on one closer to buena vista that has some huge cutts in it and they go nuts right at ice out went there this summer and aught a few mid sized fish but the day was a miserable wind with alternating snow and sleet im thinking bout plowing my way in, in the spring

ill see if i can do some recon around colony lakes area

·
Registered
935 Posts
beerman said:
Does anybody have any suggestions on places to ride atvs to and camp & fish? trying to get some ideas for weekend trips next summer.
Anywhere out of earshot from me, and on trail! :) Unless, of course, you're driving up to bring me some beer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cutt, you will be to busy drilling holes with your screwdiver to drink beer, but I may have a few while I'm watching you try to find water. HAHAHAHA!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
est trip I ever made with an ATV was fly fishing up in Wyoming on Grey Reef(South Platte) near Pathfinder and Seminoe. The state of Wyoming seems like it's 95% BLM land. Buy at weekend ATV registration for like $15 and you can goo almost anywhere.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Fishdawg said:
est trip I ever made with an ATV was fly fishing up in Wyoming on Grey Reef(South Platte) near Pathfinder and Seminoe.  The state of Wyoming seems like it's 95% BLM land.  Buy at weekend ATV registration for like $15 and you can goo almost anywhere.
Correction....its the north platte river....and I don't know why you would need an atv to fish it since its pretty dang convienient. Unless you wanna piss everyone off and get 'em all out of the water. ;D

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
You can park the camper at Miracle Mile and ride the off-road machine (I do dirt bikes) to pathfinder,alcova,or seminoe. For instance,you can go from the bridge at the mile down to the narrows at P-finder in about 13 minutes where otherwise it would require a 1 hr. bone jarring,truck breaking ride to get there. You can fish EVERY hole on the north platte in minutes! Hey beerman, I know some cool lakes to ride to! Dirt biking to lakes full of large trout-it dont get any better!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Beerman, There is a lake in the Flattops called Heart lake. It is a seven mile ride fome the trail head. Not in the wilderness area. Go south from Yampa, up bear river road. Half mile before Yamcolo on the right.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mojo said:
Beerman,  There is a lake in the Flattops called Heart lake.  It is a seven mile ride fome the trail head.  Not in the wilderness area.  Go south from Yampa, up bear river road.  Half mile before Yamcolo on the right.
thanks, what's the fishin like??

·
Registered
879 Posts
I havn't been up there in a whole lot of years but it does get hammered in the summer. There used to be some great natives come out of there. I didn't/ don't own an ATV so when I want to hike to a lake up there, I went some place with less crowds. To me one other person in the area was a crowd, that is why I am having so much trouble getting used to the front range fishing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Beerman you may want to check out the Grand Mesa. It has plenty of ATV trails which access many lakes and streams. There is good fishing for Brookies, Rainbows and Cutthroats. The D.O.W. has a publication "Fishing the Grand Mesa" which has a wealth of information. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Ouray, I want to get back over there too. I lived in the Junction for a while and loved it up on the mesa. I miss it over on that side of the hill, it's where I want to retire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts