Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey now that Uncle Milty's is closed where are you guys getting re-sharpened blades at? I had a buddy sharpen mine at a machine shop but they still were not as sharp as manufacture re-sharpened.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If my blades need sharpened I just buy new ones... blade angles are very important and if changed when sharpened it doesnt matter how sharp the blades are it will still suck trying to drill.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
If it's a chipper blade they are simple to sharpen yourself. If its those curved blades likt the "lazer" types then your out of luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Slayer, I have a couple of chipper blades that I need to sharpen. Do you use a stone, how do you sharpen yours, and how do you keep the angle? Most of mine have chips do to rocks or sand. Thanks

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Here's how I do it. Put the blade in a vise so it's securely held in a handy position. You need a fine file and some oil. Motor oil will work just fine. Dont grab the file on each end like one would normally file , but kinda use the tips of your fingers to hold it against the blade and your other fingers against the back of the blade so you can "feel" the angle.Just keep moving the file back and forth till the nicks are gone,and then do it again on the other cutting angle. The first time will be the hardest. Once you get the feel its a piece of cake. Just remember to follow the original angle. My first time it took about a half hour to do,now it takes 15 minutes. Slow and deliberate is the key. If you just start filing away in a hurry it wont work.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Slayer is right, i have never had luck sharpening a straight balde. I use a fine file on my chipper and it works great. i even carry it with me when fishing. just take your time and stay with the original angle, put your thumb on top of the file above the blade and use short strokes. pressure from your thumb keeps the angle correct. oh, dont file the bottom side.  works for me...

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Yeah I do both sides. Although I was told not to do the bottom side it doesnt hurt as long as you are careful. I think your explanation of filing was easier to understand than mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Eskimo has a site with information on blade exchange. I have never used it here is the link. Go to auger accessories. http://www.fish307.com/fish/EskimoIceAugers.htm[/url]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts