Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the continuing saga of my first gas auger, it keeps giving me problems. :mad:The history... Bought end of last season...Strikemaster Mag 2000. Wouldn't start when I took it out the one and only time...pull cord broke. Got it fixed.

Now, filled it up for the first and tried to start it up at home...sputtered but wouldn't run. Any time it would seem to start up, it would sputter and die within a few seconds (was on run, also tried half choke). I can keep it running if I immediately push on the throttle after it turns over and keep it throttled, but every time I let go of the throttle, it dies and continues with the same problem. Tried this over several days with the same results.

Any ideas or suggestions? I know it's still under warranty so I will call strikemaster tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone else ever had a problem like this. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
thats weird , we havent had a any problems with the strikemasters , we had numerous issues with eskimo augers , they suck , we had blades break , pull start break , make sure ur mixture of gas and oil is correct , good luck

·
Registered
749 Posts
mine was doing that last year. I cleaned the spark plug and adjusted the idle screw a little faster. Worked great after that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
my ten year old stikemaster has been awsome putin in its first new plug this year. I have abused this thing and has never let me down I dont even change fuell from season to season!

·
Registered
33 Posts
So last year I had this same problem with the mag2000. I tried everything to get it idle. I contacted strike master and I found that mine had one of the "new" EPA carbs on it (non adjustable). Not sure if that is true but the gent I talked to told me to send it back (Just the motor head) and they would put on the adjustable carb and set it for altitude. Took about a week or so and got it back but sure enough it runs like a champ now......

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Spark plug..........idle screw............and check for the "emissions screen" in the muffler......pull it out if there is one. I do some small engine repair.........should be similar.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Has anybody tried the new synthetic oil, my runs great on it and I have alot less fowled plugs from too much oil

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Have you tried Seafoam? $7/can at any automotive parts store. (NFI)

Afteradding it to my 5 year old Strikemaster Lazer last year and running it for about 10 minutes everything was clear and running smoooooothly.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the tips. I'm going to try the idle screw. Called Strikemaster and a tech there said that sounded like the issue and it should fix it right up if I screwed it in a little. I'll let you know if that doesn't work...too cold out right now to go digging around the garage to get to the auger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts