Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hand

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the season started, it was nothing to drill a couple of holes with my hand auger. I figured I'd never want to haul a gas auger.

Now after going several times this year, and realizing how many holes I might need to drill to find fish, I don't know if I'm ready to go back w/out a gas auger. Probly get a good deal in the summer on one. Any ideas where?

L

·
0 Posts
Big difference between what I prefere to what I use I don't have the cash for a gas auger but I have used my hand auger for 4 years now without a problem 2+ feet of ice though I tend to move arround less! O0

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I prefer gas.... but I own a hand auger. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
watch the sales at gander and bass pro after ice off you might be able to get a great deal. try cabela's.com they should be havin sales soon too. :)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
If I popped 2 holes and sat down for 6 hours I would be ok with a hand auger. I tend to move around and test different areas. It is not uncommon for me to drill 20+ holes. I am too lazy to do that by hand. Give me gas any day of the week.

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used hand augers for a few years, until I woke up. Bought a gas strike master at Walmart for a little over $100.00 right before spring, that would probably be the time for the best buys. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just to repeat; I use a chainsaw. I have an 18 inch bar with an old chain on it and it's not my good chainsaw. I leave my Husq at home and take the Poulon. I could beat any gas auger or hand auger in a race as long as the ice isn't thicker than 18 inches.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
When I bought my Jiffy Legend a few years ago I found the best deal at sportsmanswarehouse.com. They charge for shipping but I don't think that they charge for sales tax. They should drop the price on augers pretty soon now.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Was killing time and reading reports from ice shanty in alaska and there was a post about gas augers and what brand. They have to use extensions up there and need the power going that deep and there wasn't one postive post for strike masters. All the guys said they would bog out expecially the 4 strokes. But how knows maybe they all owned stock in Jiffy

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Yes, us type-A over worked and stressed out guys need all the fishing time we can get!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I just saw a 2-cycle gas drill (yes drill). It's only 10 lbs., and can drive a 7" earth auger (which is harder to turn than an ice auger), so I could easily imagine getting one to adapt to a hand auger blade for a truly lightweight gas power auger option. It's expensive, but it would be cool to have a gas setup that weighs that little.

http://www.vermontmowers.com/Echo_EDR_2400.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
"all 3 of my jiffys have been kick a$$ augers, never had a need to try a strikemaster. never had to buy new blades either. "

All 3? I only needed one Strikemaster. ;)

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
[quote

All 3? I only needed one Strikemaster. ;)
Good point dude!

·
Registered
499 Posts
In my opinion strikemaster is the only way to go. When we first started cold footin my buddy bought a jiffy. We thought it worked great. However, all we had to compare it to was a hand auger we used prior. Two years passed and my lovely wife bought me a strikemaster for my birthday. (What a lucky dude I am) Initially I was disappointed seeing that it only had one blade. Consequently, after my first outing with my new toy my disappointment turned to amazement as the strike master cut ice like a hot knife cuts butter. Now my strikemaster is just like my vexilar, I never leave home without it. Needless to say, my buddies jiffy hasn't seen ice since.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I ice fish alot and my first auger was a StrikeMaster 2hp 8" wore it out in two seasons. bought the 3hp Jiffy 10" 10 years ago and still runs great. All preference and what you have success with but I would never buy another StrikeMaster.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts