Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a family trip to Colorado (I'm from MN). I work in a warmwater hatchery back in Minnesota, so it goes without saying that I love fish and fishing. I'm hoping to get some tips about where to fish around Breck in late August (rough timing I suppose). Please reply or PM me. I will bring spinning and fly gear, waders, and the whole 9 yards. All I've heard so far is Blue River from an old friend that used to work around Vail.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Come on some of you who do the MRT gig help him out!...my mountain trout days are long behind me...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
correct me if im wrong guys but isnt there a hwy that goes right from breck to fairplay in about 20 min? from there its just a short drive to antero, spinny, jefferson, and tarryall. all are great lakes to fish. spinny and antero will have the larger fish, but you will run into some crowds and wind. i hear the blue river has huge fish but can have big crowds and can be difficult, although i've never tried it myself. dillion lake has big browns, but it can also be difficult. i never have much luck there. hope you enjoy it here. will you be staying long?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for helping this thread find the right category...

Yeah, I'll be up for a week. I'm willing to hit lakes from shore as well. Whatever is available.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
have the colorado division of wildlife send you a 2011 fishing reg. booklet there are many maps in there that show the different rules and regs. for the rivers. some spots are heavy restriction and others you can keep 4 fish of any size. i like the south platte better than the blue. there are also some tiny streams just outside breck to the east that have small bows and brookies that are a lot of hiking and no casting just dunking in the holes. another spot is on hwy 70 west of frisco called officers gulch, a small lake but the brookies might be showing their spawning colors by the end of aug

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the info. and PMs. I'm really looking forward to going, I'm getting sick of south central Minnesota...that part of the state is more like Iowa and the BWCA is more like Colorado...zman knows what I'm talking about.

Suddenly I'm overwhelmed with options. On a different note, any suggestions for places to visit? I have to admit I'll be sucked into many family activities and won't be able to fish as much as I'd like to, but it'll be good to get some culture, history, etc. I'll be in Denver too...the plan is Coors Field, Red Rocks, US Mint, microbrewery in Breck, a pizza joint that comes highly recommended, Coors Brewery tour, Boreas Pass, mining tour, ___?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I do miss some of the Limestone Trout streams I grew up on sometimes...Trout Run, Duschee, Whitewater, the Root...its funny I caught bigger trout in Minnesota (13 pound brown and 4.5 pound Brookie) than in Colorado and bigger warm water species here...guess I was unclear on which species I was supposed to catch in both states...

Good luck when you are here...have fun!...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
scottm said:
Thanks everyone for the info. and PMs. I'm really looking forward to going, I'm getting sick of south central Minnesota...that part of the state is more like Iowa and the BWCA is more like Colorado...zman knows what I'm talking about.

Suddenly I'm overwhelmed with options. On a different note, any suggestions for places to visit? I have to admit I'll be sucked into many family activities and won't be able to fish as much as I'd like to, but it'll be good to get some culture, history, etc. I'll be in Denver too...the plan is Coors Field, Red Rocks, US Mint, microbrewery in Breck, a pizza joint that comes highly recommended, Coors Brewery tour, Boreas Pass, mining tour, ___?
mt princeton hot springs are some of the best in the state, and probably only an hour from where your at.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If ya get down in the Mt. Princeton Hot Springs area, you have driven by a bunch of the upper Arkansas, and Chalk Creek itself isn't bad.. No matter where you go up there, there are places to wet a fly or a lure.

JW

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's the west.... hoppers are a staple this time of year. Most waters are running higher than normal for this time of year (an epic snowpack this past winter), but you should find most waters clear, cold and receding. Should make for some great fishing!! Other general flies to carry caddis, pmds, ants & beetles, along with a variety of larger stoneflies (yellow sallies & golden stones) and mayflies (drakes) may apply depending upon where you are headed. Don't forget to bring some bug spray... all the water is resulting in some epic mosquito hatches in some areas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts