Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know confidence is everything. With that being said I am stuck in a mode of using the same thing every time I go out walleye fishing from my yak and ending up with 1 or 2 shorts.

what are some of your favorite August walleye baits outside of harness crawlers or trolling leadcore?

also, why do guys slab spoons more in fall/late fall then in the summer ie, now?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
starting this time of year trolling rappels is a good start, and like koldkut says spooning is real good when the shad ball up.on the same idea blade baits are supposed to be good although I'm still struggling with that technique. impretty much like you being in a rut, I bottom bounce with one rod and Lindy rig with the other. I need to quit worrying about how many I catch and practice with other techniques no matter the results. I'm sure it will pay off in the end

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
I'd rather be tortured and die than troll leadcore-SMH.

Ripping metal is working as we speak-

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Leadcore takes all the fun out of walleye fishing. Kinda like dragging bottom bouncers, lindy rigs, bait fishing and trolling. They all catch fish. But take the fun out of the quest....

Nothing more satisfying then have the rod in your hand, working a lure and out of nowhere....BAM a fish smashes it. That's the adrenaline rush... It's especially gratifying when you've put in the time on the water to know where they are and what they are feeding on at a particular time of the year and you mimic their food well enough to entice them to hit an artificial bait.

Plastics have worked all year for me everywhere I've fished (slow rolled, ripped, jigged or crawled). I use metal on lakes where I know I won't lose many and shallow running crankbaits if they are chasing shad shallow. Vertical jigging has been effective when they are deeper and suspended.

Walleye aren't that hard to catch once you find them...The key is to find an active pod/school. That is where knowing how to read your sonar is important. A good fishfinder is invaluable for sure.

....and yes; I fish from a kayak most of the time.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Don't like vertical jigging much and absolutely won't troll-like Ninja said, it takes the fun out of it.

Been experimenting with spybaits-could be a good bait in the cold months on suspended fish. We'll see.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody use those Rapala Rippin Raps? They look good - I'm waiting for my perch pattern to show up in the mail.

Thanks for the replies - I'm heading out tomorrow and going to try plastics and metal most of the day and see what happens.

Hope to have a good report soon.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've been playing with the Rippin Raps this year too but haven't committed to them yet - which means I haven't caught anything on them. They are a nice jig and I'd sure like to catch some fish with them. They cast a mile.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Weeds and weed edges, chucking a 3/8 oz jighead and a fluke on a 7' MH spinning rod, and snap jiggin is a great way to get a reaction bite this time of year. Can also catch fish without weeds present, but weeds always means a higher a percentage of fish in the area

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can't take the fun out of walleye fishing unless you're not catching them.Sure you can have a preferred method but to me they are all fun and I do what I think or heard is working to put fish in the boat so everyone is having a good time.You think dragging lead or pulling bottom bouncers or trolling cranks on boards takes the fun out is crazy.Sure I would rather catch them jigging or spooning, it is the funnest way for me.And spooning time is really close so get ready. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE and remember more action equals more fun.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Most of the fish are out in the basin suspended. Jig guys are catching dinks right now. If you don't have or like leadcore put out #7 and 9 Tail dancers or Scatter Dancers with **** load of line out! 20 to 25 feet was our magic depth all August. I am up hunting the next 12 days but judging from Kirbys report nothing has changed water temp wise.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
if you like jigging and spooning but don't like trolling, just locate some fish over the deep water and jig or spoon at 25 feet. if you don't have a line counter watch your fish finder to get your depth, you can even pull line off your reel in one foot pulls it all will work. remember that you need to keep the noise down. it may be best to just drift, even spot lock makes some noise, if you drift off the fish go around the school not through them to set up another drift. this all will work at time, but not as good as trolling boards and long lines. you may not catch as many but there will be a better ratio of keepers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts