Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joe and I fished Aurora tonight from 7 until 8:16 (closes at 8:30)...walking the shoreline...pretty good wind blowing...I got two small walleyes that were 14 and 16 inches throwing jigs...Joe used cranks and got nothing...switched to jigs later on to no avail...short time but was still nice to get out...thermometer was in the bag I took to Powell so I couldnt tell you the water temp...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Was out today fishing with Ripple Affect from 7 to about 1. Fishing from the dam. Came home with our limit of Trout. All were caught with different bait. worms, powerbait, salmon eggs and shiners. The weather was great, and I have a nice sunburn to go along with the fish fry. Fish on.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Getting ready to head over in a hour. The wind is supposed to be blowing out of the south into the dam? That was the exact conditions last Monday when I got into some keeper sized walleye

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. First decent trip I have had out at Aurora in years. Hit my limit on trout. Nothing over 15" but begers cant be chossers. Thanks

·
Registered
831 Posts
Fished Aurora at the scuba cove Sat morning for a few hours and caught 4 bows and a walleye. Nothing big and all the rainbows hit a pearl colored 3 inch Walleye Assasin soft plastic jerk bait. Walleye hit an Xrap jerkbait.
Went back Sunday by the marina and caught 3 more trout
on the same soft plastic.
I was good to get out on the water although I froze my
huevos rancheros off on Saturday morning. I helps if you dress for the occasion.
Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
I fished Aurora in my boat Sunday afternoon. Wind was a real pain. I managed to catch three trout no bigger than 14" back in senac cove by anchoring out and casting a silver and black Rapala. My woman caught a nice 18 incher that became dinner. My battery was getting low from fighting the wind so we headed back to the ramp at 7:15. I decided to troll an orange and green Tazmanian devil on the way back. I was right out in the deep, open water half way to the dock when I hooked something HUGE. I immediately knew I had hooked a monster as I could make no headway. I really wanted to shut off my motor and work the fish, but every time I cut the power we were getting blown and dragged across the lake. I keep saying to my woman "OMG this is the biggest thing I have ever hooked". It didn't fight and hardly ran on me. It was like reeling in a board.  It was about 12 feet behind the boat when I saw it under the water. It looked very white in color. I could see my lure breaking the surface of the water as I pulled him nice and steady toward the boat. Then the lure just came right out of the fish and shot over my head. I literally heard the sound of the lure come loose from his mouth and I had to duck so it wouldn't hit me in forehead. I don't know if it was a walley or a wiper or even a big trout. I was heartbroken and my hands shook for 20 minutes. I am sure some of you heard me yelling. I sat down in the boat and realized that by the time the hook came out we were only 100 yards from the dock. What do you guys suppose it was? Note, I have never hooked a wiper and have caught only one 16 inch walleye on a bottom bounced worm. I don't think I will get over this until I get back out and hook something big. I beat myself up pretty bad last night over it all. I had my stiffest rod, and new 8lb line so I figured I could muscle up on him a little. I guess instead of worrying about him breaking me off I should have taken more care of his mouth. I know next time I will have two batteries and maybe just let him work himself out with the drag. I really blew it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Don't beat yourself up too bad, more times than not the fish wins.
One time I had a kicker fish in a tournament hooked very well(I thought) on a spinner bait trailer hook.
My partner reached out with the net and I swear that bass
looked me in the eye then spit the hook out.
That was the difference between winning $450 and $1000.
It haunts me to this day.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think that everyone has had a huge fish get off at one time or another.
I guess that's what haunts us and keeps us coming back for more. I guess
that the good news is that that fish is still in there waiting for you ;D

·
Registered
769 Posts
It may have been a wiper, but I have never hooked one that did not put up a fight.
So, I am guessing that it may have been a very large walleye.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ivandog, I would bet the fish you lost was a wiper. In water below 50 degrees they can be pretty sluggish and usually don't fight very much until they see the boat. I guess it could have been a walleye but I'd be shocked if a big one was suspending close to the surface over deep water right now. I can guarantee it wasn't a trout because they are super active in cold water and it would have been fighting like crazy :eek:.

Just another chapter in the big one that got away book that we've all contributed to at one time or another. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts